Old 17-04-2006, 09:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Claire Petersky

Default Tomato Leaf Discoloration

"Suzanne" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is my first time growing tomato seedlings. They are 3 weeks old
and growing large. All was going well until today I noticed some of
the older leaves on the Brandywine plants are begining to discolor. It
almost looks like the green is rubbing off in a large blotch in the
center of the leaf. The color is paler that the rest of the leaves. I
haven't been able to find any photos of diseases that look similar.

To diagnose, check out:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ver/index.html

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old 18-04-2006, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

" "Suzanne" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is my first time growing tomato seedlings. They are 3 weeks old
and growing large. All was going well until today I noticed some of
the older leaves on the Brandywine plants are begining to discolor. It
almost looks like the green is rubbing off in a large blotch in the
center of the leaf. The color is paler that the rest of the leaves. I
haven't been able to find any photos of diseases that look similar.

I/ve noticed the same thing with my seedlings grown under lights - a lighter
green patch in the leaf/s center. I/ve sen it happen with Bell peppers,
too.

Not to worry. When all is said and done, it won/t be a problem.

Harden off your plants for about a week when min temperatures average ~55°F,
set them in the garden, and you/ll be fine.

Old 18-04-2006, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne

Thank you everyone for your advice. I removed the affected leaves and
the plants seem to be doing fine.

Does anyone have a good fertilizer suggestion? There seems to be too
many options.

Old 19-04-2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"Suzanne" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you everyone for your advice. I removed the affected leaves and
the plants seem to be doing fine.

Does anyone have a good fertilizer suggestion? There seems to be too
many options.

I water seedlings with fish oil emulsion, then side dress with 5-10-10
fertilizer about a week after setting them in the garden. Once a month I
foliar feed with a 2-3-1 seaweed solution. Avoid high nitrogen fertilizers
or you/ll end up with all vine and no fruits.

--
TQ

Old 19-04-2006, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz

Suzanne said:

Thank you everyone for your advice. I removed the affected leaves and
the plants seem to be doing fine.

Does anyone have a good fertilizer suggestion? There seems to be too
many options.

Well, for seedlings I like the fertilizer sold by Gardener's Supply Company:

http://www.gardeners.com/Plant-Healt...ouseplants-8-O
z/default/31-279.prd

without line wrap: http://tinyurl.com/rmusn

In the garden I use Espoma's Tomato-tone and Maxicrop for a foliar
spray. (Maxicrop is made from kelp.)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 13-05-2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Garden Gnome

Suzanne wrote:

Thank you everyone for your advice. I removed the affected leaves and
the plants seem to be doing fine.

Does anyone have a good fertilizer suggestion? There seems to be too
many options.

Hi Suzanne. I'm using CIL granular tomato food 6-12-12. It is about $4
for a 2 kg box. Last year I used Miracle Grow but wasn't happy with the
results.

--

Garden Gnome
http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc