Old 29-05-2005, 06:57 PM
David Bockman

Default Green leaf discoloration

"Gofer" wrote in :

Dear members,
I live in Israel, in a penthouse, full of sunlight. I have many pots
with various plants: palm trees and citrus, seasonal flowers, like
penies and gotetia, and vines like passion frut. Some month or two
ago, just between the spring and the summer, many of my plants got
discoloration on the leaves: the smooth green leaves started to
yellow, but not in a smooth way, but rather in an inhomogeneous way. I
am attaching a photograph of a leaf. If you know what might cause the
change, and what is the cure, please help. Yours,
Y. Gofer

begin 666 leaf1small.JPG

Attachment decoded: leaf1small.JPG
`
end

Often this type of discoloration is indicitive of a sucking insect such as
thrips or aphids. Look underneath the leaf for small black specks like
pepper; if you see the specks, that is the insect's excrement.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 30-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Suzy O

I'd also check for spider mites. When there's a really bad infestation, you
can see the fine webbing. Otherwise, as David Bockman said in a earlier
post, check the underside of the leaves for tiny black specks -- this also
can be a good indication of spider mites.

In any event, whether aphids or spider mites, an insecticical soap product
should knock them out. Follow the label recommendations and be sure to
treat the underside of the leaves.

Good luck,
Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin