Old 21-04-2006, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg

Default Tomato plant density--should I thin?

I am growing tomatoes in my little greenhouse hydroponically. They are
mostly Celebrity. I have very lush growth. I have many blossoms and set
fruits. I wonder if I should thin this growth. It is so thick, that I wonder
if there is sufficient light to support all the growth.

Is there some kind of rule-of-thumb to indicate how dense this growth should
be limited. The Celebrity variety is determinate, but even so, I think that
there may be too much of a good thing.

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush

Old 23-04-2006, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Puckdropper

Salmon Egg wrote in
:

I am growing tomatoes in my little greenhouse hydroponically. They are
mostly Celebrity. I have very lush growth. I have many blossoms and
set fruits. I wonder if I should thin this growth. It is so thick,
that I wonder if there is sufficient light to support all the growth.

Is there some kind of rule-of-thumb to indicate how dense this growth
should be limited. The Celebrity variety is determinate, but even so,
I think that there may be too much of a good thing.

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush

I figure on having tomatoes about at cage distance... With no more than
two rows deep so I can actually get to all the tomatoes. They've grown
good for me, and give lots of good fruit.

Sometimes you get one or two that just go all out, and others don't stay
in the cages no matter what you do... One year I made a tripod (tee-pee
is more like it.) to support a single plant, the next I just let them go
along the ground.

Puckdropper

--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.