Old 01-05-2006, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
LK

Default Blueberry Query

Hello, I'm new here. I'm in SE toward central PA, USA in a 6a/b zone.
I have blueberries awaiting planting.

I'm thinking of putting 3 bushes in a slightly acid 6.3Ph and adding
cottonseed meal and mulch with wood chips, in dappled shade until 10AM
then sun until 6PM and low, as in cool air flowing from a hillock down
to them but still good drainage. However, there will be no relief from
75-88 deg weather and afternoon sun we usually get in late July and
early August.

And putting 3 more bushes higher in the hillock about 45 apart, 6 Ph
soil that I will supplement with cottonseed that gets sun from 9AM to
1PM and 3PM to 6PM.

Is this a good idea or should I put them all together in either
location?

Thanks for your input.

LK

Old 02-05-2006, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"LK" wrote in message
Hello, I'm new here. I'm in SE toward central PA, USA in a 6a/b zone.
I have blueberries awaiting planting.

I'm thinking of putting 3 bushes in a slightly acid 6.3Ph and adding
cottonseed meal and mulch with wood chips, in dappled shade until 10AM
then sun until 6PM and low, as in cool air flowing from a hillock down
to them but still good drainage. However, there will be no relief from
75-88 deg weather and afternoon sun we usually get in late July and
early August.

And putting 3 more bushes higher in the hillock about 45 apart, 6 Ph
soil that I will supplement with cottonseed that gets sun from 9AM to
1PM and 3PM to 6PM.

Is this a good idea or should I put them all together in either
location?

Thanks for your input.

Blueberries like acidic, well-drained, sandy soil and a high water table
where they can keep their roots wet, but not soggy.

Blueberries are big business in SNJ, so the summer temperatures in SE PA
won/t be a problem.

Blueberry is not a heavy feeder, so go easy on the cottonmeal or you won/t
get may berries.

--
TQ

Old 03-05-2006, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

First order of business, Blueberries like an acid soil, ph 4.5 - 5.5.
They will probably sulk at 6.0

Old 05-05-2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ernie

Adjust the ph by mixing sulfur powder with the top 3-4 inches of the
soil in which you plant the berries. You don't need the cottonseed
meal, compost would actually be better and then mulch is good.
Continue mulching with pine straw, pine bark nuggets or chopped up
leaves from a shredder or lawn mower. Fertilize sparingly with an
ammonia based fertilizer for acid loving plants.

Blueberries have a shallow root system so don't plant them too deep.
If it's dry especially when they are setting fruit, they need watering.
Good luck.