Old 02-05-2006, 09:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing sprouts from bird seed?

I have a cockatiel which I feed a mix of seeds (among other things).
A lot of the bigger seeds he doesn't eat much of. He prefers the
smaller seeds.
Do you think it would be a good idea if I planted these in my garden
and ate the sprouts?
That way I don't have to waste them.
Are some kinds of sprouts more nutritious than others or are they all
about the same?
Are they all very good?

Old 07-05-2006, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
tenacity

I've done that! Most of the big seeds are sunflowers, usually. I had a
bird feeder for a while, but when my cats started bringing me feathered
corpses (thanks guys) I removed the feeder. I sprouted the seed in
shallow dirt on my balcony just for fun, and got lots of nice seed
sprouts.

Of course, I don't know what seed are in your mix, but I'm sure the bag
will tel you.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carter

On 7 May 2006 08:57:55 -0700, "tenacity"
wrote:

Of course, I don't know what seed are in your mix, but I'm sure the bag
will tel you.

Depends what type of bird it is for, but:

red millet
prosso millet
white millet
sunflower
rape seed

and others I can no longer recall.

Spray millet grows quite nicely and seed eating birds just love
it. A friend owned a pet shop and lived on a farm; he made a
nice profit selling this fresh spray millet.