Old 19-06-2006, 05:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
new garden guy

Default Raspberry help for the new beginner

I planted 4 raspberry plants I bought from a local garden center.Now I
believe they're called canes. They llooked like little brown sticks in
the ground, about 12 inches or so high. I planted them about 6 weeks
ago and I'm not seeing any growth at all. NO fruit, which is normal,
from what I understand, but no vegetative growth either, no leaves,
shoots, nothing

Is this normal?
Thanks

Old 19-06-2006, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu

Maybe they are dead? Try scraping some of them near their bases and see if you
see any green growth. If not, time to return them to the garden center for an
exchange or a refund. Be sure the replacements look alive, and follow the
planting instructions closely (proper planting depth, watering in, etc.).

Sherwin D.

Old 19-06-2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TomC

I just had the seem experience. Verify they're alive by scratching the stem
surface to see if they're green. If so, they may be planted too deep. I
raised mine about 1-2" and shortly after they spouted new growth. Good
luck.
TomC

new garden guy wrote in article
.com...

Old 19-06-2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sgt.Sausage

"new garden guy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I planted 4 raspberry plants I bought from a local garden center.Now I
believe they're called canes. They llooked like little brown sticks in
the ground, about 12 inches or so high. I planted them about 6 weeks
ago and I'm not seeing any growth at all. NO fruit, which is normal,
from what I understand, but no vegetative growth either, no leaves,
shoots, nothing

Is this normal?

Ours did this.

First year -- nuthin'. Looked dead.

Second year: grew a lot, but no berries.

Third year: looked like they died again.

Fourth year: WOW! berries beyond belief. It's now been
an additional 3 years and they've been great ever since.

I don't know if we got a bad batch or not, but basically we
had to wait 'em out into the 4th year before it really worked out.

Old 21-06-2006, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Vivek.M

4 years ! Ouch ! I shall be long gone by then Oh well, be fun
watching them sprout and stuff..Err wrt my planned cuttings