Old 11-10-2006, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Help

Does anyone know how I can cause a cedar to die so I can cut it down?

I know this is the wrong group but I don't know what group to ask in.

--
My Word
in

Old 11-10-2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

MY WORD wrote:
Does anyone know how I can cause a cedar to die so I can cut it down?

I know this is the wrong group but I don't know what group to ask in.

ok... stupid question... why does it have to die before you
can cut it down??

--
Steve
Old 12-10-2006, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"MY WORD" wrote in message
Does anyone know how I can cause a cedar to die so I can cut it down?

Just cut it down. It'll be dead for sure.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
news
MY WORD wrote:
Does anyone know how I can cause a cedar to die so I can cut it down?

I know this is the wrong group but I don't know what group to ask in.

ok... stupid question... why does it have to die before you can cut it
down??

At a guess, I'd say it's probably blocking the light from his house or in
the way of something he wants to build, but he can't cut it down if it isn't
diseased or dead. In UK we have laws about stuff like that, trees can have
preservation orders on them.

Steve

Old 12-10-2006, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

MY WORD wrote:
Does anyone know how I can cause a cedar to die so I can cut it down?

I know this is the wrong group but I don't know what group to ask in.

ok... stupid question... why does it have to die before you can cut it
down??

--
Steve

Because I'm not allowed to cut it down if it's not dead.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

MY WORD wrote:
Does anyone know how I can cause a cedar to die so I can cut it down?

I know this is the wrong group but I don't know what group to ask in.

ok... stupid question... why does it have to die before you can cut it
down??

At a guess, I'd say it's probably blocking the light from his house or
in the way of something he wants to build, but he can't cut it down if
it isn't diseased or dead. In UK we have laws about stuff like that,
trees can have preservation orders on them.

Steve

You've got it in one! I'm in a park and my unit is right up against a row
of cedars. One has about 5 trunks and blocks all light from my kitchen.
No tree cutting allowed unless dead.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

MY WORD wrote:
Does anyone know how I can cause a cedar to die so I can cut it down?

I know this is the wrong group but I don't know what group to ask in.

ok... stupid question... why does it have to die before you can cut it
down??

At a guess, I'd say it's probably blocking the light from his house or
in the way of something he wants to build, but he can't cut it down if
it isn't diseased or dead. In UK we have laws about stuff like that,
trees can have preservation orders on them.

Steve

You've got it in one! I'm in a park and my unit is right up against a row
of cedars. One has about 5 trunks and blocks all light from my kitchen.
No tree cutting allowed unless dead.

So there is a law against cutting down healthy trees where you are? Is
there not also a law against intentionally killing a healthy tree? Why
obey one law and break the other? Perhaps because you think you can
get away with killing the tree, but not with cutting it down?

There are many ways to kill a tree, but it would be nice if this one
falls on your unit.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

MY WORD wrote:
Does anyone know how I can cause a cedar to die so I can cut it down?

I know this is the wrong group but I don't know what group to ask in.

ok... stupid question... why does it have to die before you can cut it
down??

At a guess, I'd say it's probably blocking the light from his house or
in the way of something he wants to build, but he can't cut it down if
it isn't diseased or dead. In UK we have laws about stuff like that,
trees can have preservation orders on them.

Steve

You've got it in one! I'm in a park and my unit is right up against a row
of cedars. One has about 5 trunks and blocks all light from my kitchen.
No tree cutting allowed unless dead.

You could salt the roots... but you will not be able to grow anything
else there for years.

A biodegradable herbicide should also work if used in sufficient
quantities.

Personally, I'd welcome the shade! Saves me on electric bills cooling
the house.
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 12, 8:59 am, "MY WORD" wrote:

--
SteveBecause I'm not allowed to cut it down if it's not dead.

--
My Word
in
FERGUS/HARLINGENhttp://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/index.html

christian morality at work, I suppose.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

news MY WORD wrote:
[...]

I expected at least one of your ilk. The only reason I can't remove it is
because my neighbor doesn't want me to.

But then, it's not 1 foot from her wall.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"MY WORD" wrote in
:

You've got it in one! I'm in a park and my unit is right up against a
row of cedars. One has about 5 trunks and blocks all light from my
kitchen. No tree cutting allowed unless dead.

Could you have it moved? I've seen some of the home improvement shows in
the US showing how professionals move trees.

Puckdropper

Old 16-10-2006, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

If it is one foot from your wall, then perhaps it is threatening your
foundations and you could get a dispensation from the authorities to
take the tree down. Or, perhaps, you could find it in your heart to
accept that you live in a biologically diverse world and that the cedar
you want to kill removes dangerous CO2 from the atmosphere and is the
home to varied wild life. It must also perfume your house at no expense.

Ever heard of Elmer Gantry or Tartuff?

Down with Bush/Blair and the American Empire.

Peace,

- Bill

Old 16-10-2006, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:27:35 -0400, "MY WORD"
wrote:

Does anyone know how I can cause a cedar to die so I can cut it down?

I know this is the wrong group but I don't know what group to ask in.

Girdle it clost to the ground. Just cut a narrow strip of bark off
completely around the tree..all the way through the bark. It will die
next spring

Old 17-10-2006, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Rick wrote:

It is way more dangerous to cut down a dead tree than to fell a live one. Dead
tress are widow makers!

Man, you got that right!

--
Steve

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM