Old 12-10-2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default Dehydrating tomatoes

Picked up a food dehydrator for $5 at a thrift shop. Still drying my
first try. It's been on over 24 hours. Some are still not done while
some on the bottom tray are toasted. I couldn't slice them a uniform
thickness. Don't know if I'll get any more ripe tomatoes for a second
try It probably cost me a quarter a batch for the electricity. Can't
wait till next year's crop to do more drying.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"James" wrote:

Picked up a food dehydrator for $5 at a thrift shop. Still drying my
first try. It's been on over 24 hours. Some are still not done while
some on the bottom tray are toasted. I couldn't slice them a uniform
thickness. Don't know if I'll get any more ripe tomatoes for a second
try It probably cost me a quarter a batch for the electricity. Can't
wait till next year's crop to do more drying.

Some dehydrators dry unevenly. It's not a big deal to remove the tomato
slices as they are done.

marcella
Old 12-10-2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 12, 10:43 am, "James" wrote:
Picked up a food dehydrator for $5 at a thrift shop. Still drying my
first try. It's been on over 24 hours. Some are still not done while
some on the bottom tray are toasted. I couldn't slice them a uniform
thickness. Don't know if I'll get any more ripe tomatoes for a second
try It probably cost me a quarter a batch for the electricity. Can't
wait till next year's crop to do more drying.

My dehydrator does that too. Many options: if the bottom tray dries
faster,
switch trays in mid-drying. If the slices near the center dry faster,
put thicker
slices near the center

Old 12-10-2006, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"James" wrote:

Picked up a food dehydrator for $5 at a thrift shop. Still drying my
first try. It's been on over 24 hours. Some are still not done while
some on the bottom tray are toasted. I couldn't slice them a uniform
thickness. Don't know if I'll get any more ripe tomatoes for a second
try It probably cost me a quarter a batch for the electricity. Can't
wait till next year's crop to do more drying.

Rotate the trays every 12 hours...

Move the bottom trays to the top and the top trays to the bottom.

Works well for me with Dill and Jerky.
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Old 13-10-2006, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

I find simply putting them on an oiled tray lined with foil and into the oven at
a low
temperature does the job. Where I am, gas is cheaper than electricity and I
don't
like the constant noise of my dehydrator motor fan going.

Sherwin D.

Old 13-10-2006, 07:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article . com,
"James" wrote:

Picked up a food dehydrator for $5 at a thrift shop. Still drying my
first try. It's been on over 24 hours. Some are still not done while
some on the bottom tray are toasted. I couldn't slice them a uniform
thickness. Don't know if I'll get any more ripe tomatoes for a second
try It probably cost me a quarter a batch for the electricity. Can't
wait till next year's crop to do more drying.

Rotate the trays every 12 hours...

Move the bottom trays to the top and the top trays to the bottom.

Works well for me with Dill and Jerky.

What, are these two new guys you're dating!?

Seriously, can't you also dehydrate stuff in an oven...???

--
Best
Greg

Old 13-10-2006, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"Gregory Morrow" wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article . com,
"James" wrote:

Picked up a food dehydrator for $5 at a thrift shop. Still drying my
first try. It's been on over 24 hours. Some are still not done while
some on the bottom tray are toasted. I couldn't slice them a uniform
thickness. Don't know if I'll get any more ripe tomatoes for a second
try It probably cost me a quarter a batch for the electricity. Can't
wait till next year's crop to do more drying.

Rotate the trays every 12 hours...

Move the bottom trays to the top and the top trays to the bottom.

Works well for me with Dill and Jerky.

What, are these two new guys you're dating!?

;-)

Cute.

Seriously, can't you also dehydrate stuff in an oven...???

It'd cost me FAR more in electricity!
The dehydrator I have is a convection unit and has no fan, just a hollow
center to draw the heat and dry air, and a small heating element in the
base.

Simple, easy to use and cheap to run.
It's no bid deal to rotate the trays. When I make jerky, I have to turn
the meat at 12 hours anyway so I rotate the trays at the same time.

It only takes 24 hours (or so) to make jerky....

Old 14-10-2006, 07:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

I can use it outdoors using the sun during the day and electricity at
night. The trouble with oven in summer is you have to keep it on for
such a long time.