Old 13-11-2006, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Split branch on orange tree

A branch on our Moro Blood Orange tree has split. I think it was
because of the weight of the fruit. I have propped the branch up so
that it is no longer sagging so much.

Do we need to do something about the split or can we leave it the
way it is?

Here are some pictures of the branch:

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0615co1.jpg
http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0614zj6.jpg
http://img451.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0613cp2.jpg
http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0612ms6.jpg
http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0611ah6.jpg
--
I am TERRIBLY cruel to my cat. I actually cut of the ends of
his toes. It's just the hard, dead part that grows back but
Old 14-11-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 13, 1:42 pm, Daniel Prince wrote:
A branch on our Moro Blood Orange tree has split. I think it was
because of the weight of the fruit. I have propped the branch up so
that it is no longer sagging so much.

Do we need to do something about the split or can we leave it the
way it is?

No one replied, so I am going to give it a try. I have experience with
fruit tees but not with oranges. It seems to me that the tree is
overloaded, so you should consider a stronger yearly pruning or even
better thinning the fruit manually.
You should have a fruit for every 25 leaves, at least that is the rule
for northern apples and pears.

Next I would evaluate the whole tree and see if I can cut the branch
below the split. If that looks too ugly, I would just keep that part
well thinned for a couple of years and see how it goes. I am jealous
though. Such a nice fruit, and the tree is loaded.

Old 15-11-2006, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem aem is offline

Daniel Prince wrote:
A branch on our Moro Blood Orange tree has split. I think it was
because of the weight of the fruit. I have propped the branch up so
that it is no longer sagging so much.

Do we need to do something about the split or can we leave it the
way it is?

You don't need to do anything about that kind of split. You should
prune away those sucker branches, though, as well as any
downward-growing branches. -aem

Old 20-11-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"aem" wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote:
A branch on our Moro Blood Orange tree has split. I think it was
because of the weight of the fruit. I have propped the branch up so
that it is no longer sagging so much.

Do we need to do something about the split or can we leave it the
way it is?

You don't need to do anything about that kind of split. You should
prune away those sucker branches, though, as well as any
downward-growing branches. -aem

By "sucker branches" do you mean those little ones that are going
straight up?
--
My previous cat, Rocket would play "monster" with me. I would
assume the threat posture of a bear and make a scarry noise (usually
Old 20-11-2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

By "sucker branches" do you mean those little ones that are going
straight up?

yes. They should be removed every year, at least in apples/pears/plums
and other northern fruits.

Old 22-11-2006, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The topic of suckers has been covered, but your other problem with the split
branches can be addressed. If this is a main leader or large branch, it may be
worthwhile to try and save it. You can try splinting it. This would have had a

better chance of success if it was done very shortly after the break, but you
can
give it a try anyways. What you should do in the future is thin your fruit to
relieve
weight on the branches. Also, I prop up heavier laden branches with lumber that

has two nails to maintain position and some cushioning material against the
branch.

Sherwin D.

Daniel Prince wrote:

"aem" wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote:
A branch on our Moro Blood Orange tree has split. I think it was
because of the weight of the fruit. I have propped the branch up so
that it is no longer sagging so much.

Do we need to do something about the split or can we leave it the
way it is?

You don't need to do anything about that kind of split. You should
prune away those sucker branches, though, as well as any
downward-growing branches. -aem

By "sucker branches" do you mean those little ones that are going
straight up?
--
My previous cat, Rocket would play "monster" with me. I would
assume the threat posture of a bear and make a scarry noise (usually
"BAROO BAROO") and chase him around the apartment. If I try it with
my present cat Marmaduke he attacks my leg instead of running.

Orange split Hypatia Nachshon Gardening 6 21-10-2015 05:12 PM
Sort of palm tree looks pale and has split leaves Paul United Kingdom 3 17-07-2009 10:36 AM
Split peach tree George Abbot Lawns 0 21-08-2008 08:28 PM
plum tree split down middle djhughes United Kingdom 3 31-05-2006 11:52 PM
Split tree trunk bthache Gardening 1 30-05-2003 04:09 PM