Old 28-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Registered User

Default Apples

I live in London and have a small north facing garden. Also I live on the outskirts so it is slightly colder.

I am going to buy two M26 trees and two M27 for pots. Any good varieties. I am thinking of having D'Arcy Spice and some cox like ones eg Jupiter, Sunset, Cevaal, maybe also Pixie or possible Jester or Fiesta.

Any ideas ? What do people think about family trees ?
Old 29-01-2007, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

davholla wrote:

I live in London and have a small north facing garden. Also I live on
the outskirts so it is slightly colder.

Well, apple trees like sun although they can tolerate some shade. I'm not
sure what climate zone London would correspond to here in the USA, but
I'm guessing possibly zone 6, which is basically in the mid section of the
USA.
Just make sure the varieties you chose will pollinate eachother. Most do,
but
there are some exceptions. I grew Cox's Orange Pippen here in the Chicago
area on M26. It lasted about 14 years before dying last year. The
apples had very strong flavor and made excellent cider, but I have since
found
better tasting apples, some with this Cox parentage mixed in (Freyburg-Cox
cross
with Golden Delicious). D'Arcy Spice is supposed to have a sweet, rich, and
wine flavor, but I never tasted one. Of the others mentioned, I only read
about
the Fiesta, a cross of Cox's Orange Pippen and Idared. It is supposed to be
easier to grow than other Cox types. Since Cox was at one time (and maybe
still is) one of England's favorite apples, I am not surprised that you are
thinking
of all these Cox types. I personally would add a little variety, especially
with all
the newer type apples coming out (I assume they are available in England, as
well
as the USA). Some of the old time favorites I like are Hudson's Golden Gem,
Spigold, and Ashmead's Kernel. The newer varieties include Honeycrisp from
the University of Minnesota, a great tasting crisp apple. I'm not sure what
would
be available in England, but I think you should check with local apple clubs
and
botanic gardens before you buy something unsuitable, or not to your taste.

Sherwin D.

--
davholla

Old 29-01-2007, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I have a few apple trees but never got anthing edible because of
shade. I had better luck with Asian-pears.

Apples Bill726 Gardening 1 24-02-2003 05:15 AM
Cox's apples sparky United Kingdom 9 14-01-2003 07:54 PM
Disfigured bramley apples. Johnathan United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 10:28 AM
Family apples (was Herb usage?) Big Al United Kingdom 1 24-10-2002 06:18 PM
Apples again anton United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 11:44 PM