Old 27-02-2007, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Trying to find Baltic (Russian) Gooseberrys...

Does anyone know a place to start to look. Google doesn't seem to
lead me to anything useful. I am interested in the HUGE gooseberrys
that I found in Latvia, Estonia, and western Russia. They are about
3/4 to one inch across and turn red to almost black when ripe. They
have a sweet, yet comfortably tart flavor.
Thanx to anyone who might know where I may find more information.

cheers

oz, deep in the Ozarks

Old 27-02-2007, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Oz" wrote:

Does anyone know a place to start to look. Google doesn't seem to
lead me to anything useful. I am interested in the HUGE gooseberrys
that I found in Latvia, Estonia, and western Russia. They are about
3/4 to one inch across and turn red to almost black when ripe. They
have a sweet, yet comfortably tart flavor.
Thanx to anyone who might know where I may find more information.

In any local plant center ... in Finland, Europe.
The choices a spines (yes/no), and ripe berry color (yellowish green/darkish
red).

Woot!
Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.henriettesherbal.com
Old 28-02-2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 27, 8:23 am, Henriette Kress
wrote:
"Oz" wrote:
Does anyone know a place to start to look. Google doesn't seem to
lead me to anything useful. I am interested in the HUGE gooseberrys
that I found in Latvia, Estonia, and western Russia. They are about
3/4 to one inch across and turn red to almost black when ripe. They
have a sweet, yet comfortably tart flavor.
Thanx to anyone who might know where I may find more information.

In any local plant center ... in Finland, Europe.
The choices a spines (yes/no), and ripe berry color (yellowish green/darkish
red).

Woot!
Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.henriettesherbal.com

Thank you, but it would be difficult to have an agent purchase them
for me in Finland or (other) Europe and then mail them to the central
US. Our customs people get fussy about incoming produce.

cheers, anyway

oz, who has enjoyed his short trips to Helsinki

Old 02-03-2007, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article .com,
"Oz" wrote:

Does anyone know a place to start to look. Google doesn't seem to
lead me to anything useful. I am interested in the HUGE gooseberrys
that I found in Latvia, Estonia, and western Russia. They are about
3/4 to one inch across and turn red to almost black when ripe. They
have a sweet, yet comfortably tart flavor.
Thanx to anyone who might know where I may find more information.

cheers

oz, deep in the Ozarks

Try http://www.onegreenworld.com

They sell lots of bush fruits from Russia, etc,
including seven different cultivars of gooseberries.

Another source of fruits that aren't common in the US
is Raintree Nursery. Their shipping is a tad high, but
they have stuff that's hard to find anywhere else.

http://www.raintreenursery.com

Best Wishes,

Jan
USDA Zone 3
southcentral Alaska

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 1, 9:52 pm, Jan Flora wrote:
In article .com,

"Oz" wrote:
Does anyone know a place to start to look. Google doesn't seem to
lead me to anything useful. I am interested in the HUGE gooseberrys
that I found in Latvia, Estonia, and western Russia. They are about
3/4 to one inch across and turn red to almost black when ripe. They
have a sweet, yet comfortably tart flavor.
Thanx to anyone who might know where I may find more information.

cheers

oz, deep in the Ozarks

Try http://www.onegreenworld.com

They sell lots of bush fruits from Russia, etc,
including seven different cultivars of gooseberries.

Another source of fruits that aren't common in the US
is Raintree Nursery. Their shipping is a tad high, but
they have stuff that's hard to find anywhere else.

http://www.raintreenursery.com

Best Wishes,

Thanx. The first one looks promising.

oz

Trying to find the Gnome PM Australia 0 17-03-2004 09:09 AM
Trying to find a picture sam Roses 0 25-11-2003 11:12 PM
[IBC] Trying to Find Barbados Cherry Dusty G. Bonsai 0 18-11-2003 09:42 PM
Trying to find a product called OClear Paul A Brown Ponds (alternative) 0 13-06-2003 10:44 PM
Gooseberrys Barnze United Kingdom 10 11-06-2003 08:20 AM