Old 11-04-2007, 05:09 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

Default cheap seedlings

In article ,
A. Nonymoose wrote:

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:46:38 -0700, Bill Rose wrote:

Your steaming your asparagus? Try grilling it for 3-5 minutes per side.
There should be little discolorization marks from the heat when you turn
them. Disregard, if you like them mushy.

You're GRILLING your asparagus? Try eating it as it's growing, on your
hands and knees with your hands deep in the good, loamy earth, and the
warmth of the sun on your back. Now, THAT'S good eatin'!

Dang, outflanked. I sit corrected. But, while we're on the subject,
where does the vinaigrette or the hollandaise come in?

-Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Old 11-04-2007, 05:21 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
William Rose wrote:

In article ,
A. Nonymoose wrote:

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:46:38 -0700, Bill Rose wrote:

Your steaming your asparagus? Try grilling it for 3-5 minutes per side.
There should be little discolorization marks from the heat when you turn
them. Disregard, if you like them mushy.

You're GRILLING your asparagus? Try eating it as it's growing, on your
hands and knees with your hands deep in the good, loamy earth, and the
warmth of the sun on your back. Now, THAT'S good eatin'!

Dang, outflanked. I sit corrected. But, while we're on the subject,
where does the vinaigrette or the hollandaise come in?

-Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

I use lemon butter personally. ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:34 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Bill Rose wrote:

In article ,
Bob Ward wrote:

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:22:07 -0500, Steve Bonine
wrote:

There is just nothing that compares with fresh asparagus. I mean REALLY
fresh, as in get the water boiling before cutting it. Another example
is tomatoes -- the commercial varieties are bred for good shipping and
consistency, not for taste. Farmer's market produce comes close, but
the taste of stuff fresh from the garden just cannot be beat. (Then
there's the experience of picking the raspberries off the bush and
popping them directly into the mouth.)

You're BOILING your asparagus?

Try steaming it instead.

Your steaming your asparagus? Try grilling it for 3-5 minutes per side.
There should be little discolorization marks from the heat when you turn
them. Disregard, if you like them mushy.
- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Who's kidding who? Forget the asparagus and eat the hollandaise
sauce directly.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

"Zuke" wrote in message
news:Pine.OSX.4.64.0704111233060.26583@ucfilespace .uc.edu...

Who's kidding who? Forget the asparagus and eat the hollandaise
sauce directly.

Eat it??? Are you kidding??? I don't bother with that, I just apply it
directly to my hips and thighs.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:55 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
William Rose wrote:

In article ,
A. Nonymoose wrote:

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:46:38 -0700, Bill Rose wrote:

Your steaming your asparagus? Try grilling it for 3-5 minutes per side.
There should be little discolorization marks from the heat when you turn
them. Disregard, if you like them mushy.

You're GRILLING your asparagus? Try eating it as it's growing, on your
hands and knees with your hands deep in the good, loamy earth, and the
warmth of the sun on your back. Now, THAT'S good eatin'!

Dang, outflanked. I sit corrected. But, while we're on the subject,
where does the vinaigrette or the hollandaise come in?

-Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

I use lemon butter personally. ;-d

Well I guess the yoke is on me:-)

Except for bragging right's fresh, at 99 cents a pound, I my try that
too.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:39 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

William Rose wrote:

A. Nonymoose wrote:

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:46:38 -0700, Bill Rose wrote:

Your steaming your asparagus? Try grilling it for 3-5 minutes per side.
There should be little discolorization marks from the heat when you turn
them. Disregard, if you like them mushy.

You're GRILLING your asparagus? Try eating it as it's growing, on your
hands and knees with your hands deep in the good, loamy earth, and the
warmth of the sun on your back. Now, THAT'S good eatin'!

Dang, outflanked. I sit corrected. But, while we're on the subject,
where does the vinaigrette or the hollandaise come in?

What do you think your pockets are for?

--
Cheers, Bev
Lawyering: the only profession that if you

Old 12-04-2007, 02:37 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
William Rose wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
William Rose wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It's a bit higher than that here, but still on sale.
Dad and I are fixin' to start our annual asparagus pigout. G

I may even grill some!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-04-2007, 07:28 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

In article . com,
"James" wrote:

Which plants are cheap to buy in 6 packs? Tomatoes, peppers, and
other warm season plants to me are cheaper to buy as small seedlings
instead of starting your own.

When it cost 10 cents just for the jiffy pellet, the only reason to
start your own is if you can't buy the seedlings.

OK, I'm a month late in my response to your post. I don't read this news
groups as often as some others.

My experience is that the six packs of starter plants and 4" pots all
cost the same at the nursery. I'm guessing you want the biggest return
on your investment, lbs/$. This in turn is related to gardening
practices, agricultural zone, and length of season, in order of
importance.

My suggestion is that you grow what you like best, because it will taste
best straight from the garden. The most memorable flavors for many of us
come from tomatoes, fresh corn, string beans, red bell peppers
(grilled), and carrots. If you like to cook, start a kitchen garden for
herbs (thyme, oregano, tarragon, parsley, cilantro, basil, and mint).
These you may buy at the store fresh but you end up throwing away what
you don't use. Grow it and you only take what you need.

But gardening, as I have found out, isn't just
stick-it-in-the-ground-and-hose-it. Each plant is a universe unto
itself, with it's own needs and dislikes. In your knowledge, you form a
bond. It's hard to imagine the rage a farmer feels when he finds out his
crop has been trashed by birds, gastropods or, insects.

"Be careful when you walk out your front door", as Bilbo Baggins used to
say. "You never know where the path may lead you."

Old 16-04-2007, 02:13 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

William Rose wrote:

In article . com,
"James" wrote:

Which plants are cheap to buy in 6 packs? Tomatoes, peppers, and
other warm season plants to me are cheaper to buy as small seedlings
instead of starting your own.

When it cost 10 cents just for the jiffy pellet, the only reason to
start your own is if you can't buy the seedlings.

I have a monster rosemary shrub and plant cherry tomatoes and basil. Last
year the best cherry tomatoes were orange and/or yellow, but we ate all of
them and I couldn't find any seeds for orange or yellow cherries, even at
the big REAL plant store. I finally broke down and bought a 6-pack of Sweet
100s just to stay in the game. We'll get 'em next year.

Basil produces copious seeds -- one package is a lifetime investment.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the
Old 16-04-2007, 04:07 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 15, 9:13 pm, The Real Bev wrote:
William Rose wrote:
In article . com,
"James" wrote:

[...]

My house is around 60 so it's not good for start seeds. Basil
sprouted but still don't have true leaves. tomatillos got really
spindly and wilted because I left them out overnight. Had them
outside because I don't have grow lights. Peppers are starting to
sprout after 10 days. They got couple hours on the heat pad daily. A
neighbor is starting tomatoes for me.