Old 06-04-2007, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Heirloom Chilis or Peppers?

I was wondering - is there such a thing as heirloom chilis or peppers? If
so, where can I find seeds for these varieties? I have a pretty small
garden (about 4 x 4, and that includes the air conditioning unit) so I try
to restrict my edibles to new or unusual varieties. I live in zone 3b/4 in
Manitoba.

Thanks for any information.
Crystal

Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Crystal Braun" wrote:

I was wondering - is there such a thing as heirloom chilis or peppers? If
so, where can I find seeds for these varieties?

There certainly are!

for starters, try www.seedsavers.org

The annual yearbook for members has a zillion peppers, but they have a
"public" catalog with quite a bit of stuff. You might do well to try
container gardening, both to get a jump on the season and to keep things
warmer overall.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

There are many heirloom peppers. My only concern with you is your location.
As far north as you are, you might have problems getting them from seed to
ripe peppers in a short growing season. Hot peppers like hot weather. If
you want to do some research and learn a great deal about the "travels" of
peppers I seriously suggest you do a google search for "Jean Andrews
capsicum". You will find a reference to a book she wrote entitled
"Peppers: The Domesticated Capsicum".
I have that book and it's amazing. Complete with full page color plates of
the plants in fruit showing leaf size, shape and the peppers, and how
peppers made it around the world via old world trade routes. In addition,
the google search will reveal another book by her entitled "The Pepper
Lady's Pocket Pepper Primer". I don't have it, but I bet it's good. I've
met Jean and she knows her peppers! If you're interested, I grow lots of
peppers including chili pequin, which are also sometimes referred to as bird
peppers. They are about as large as a pencil eraser, but pack quite a
punch. Sun dried they are my favorite when crushed and sprinkled on pizza.
I have LOTS of them dried. If you want, I would be more than willing to
send you a small handful. Try them on pizza and see if you can grow some.
Let me know if you're interested.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

There are several places to buy heirloom seeds. First is Seed Savers in Iowa
http://www.seedsavers.org/ and here in Missouri is Baker Creek Seed Company
http://www.rareseeds.com/. Both of these are premier for finding Heirloom
Seeds.
Happy Planting
Michael Missouri Master Gardner

Slow germination in Italian Heirloom peppers Penelope Periwinkle Edible Gardening 4 17-03-2006 02:57 AM
Jalapeno chilis Jeremy Lunn Australia 1 27-12-2003 09:32 AM
How do I use/store my red chilis? Kevin Miller Edible Gardening 5 29-09-2003 04:32 AM
Storing chilis? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 9 22-08-2003 08:12 PM
harvesting chilis Neil Catley Edible Gardening 19 19-07-2003 03:12 AM