Old 24-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Kevin Miller

Default How do I use/store my red chilis?

TIA
Old 24-09-2003, 06:42 AM

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:52:45 -0500, Kevin Miller
wrote:

TIA

Here in Tucson Arizona I take my red chille and tie them on a string
(rista) and hang them out in the sun to dry. This will work if you
live in an area that gets lots of sun and does not have high humidity.
After they dry out I keep them in zip lock bags until I am ready to
use them. Using a blender a grind the dried chiles up to make chili
powder that is great when making chili. I also soke them tin water
then put them in the blender to make a sauce that we use to make
enchilads from.

Saul

Remove nospam for valid address
Do not send messages to the MSN.com address as they will be ignored
Old 24-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Bundy

They can be frozen, but dried is the best.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old 24-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Pam

In our last fun filled episode, Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:52:45 -0500,
Kevin Miller proclaimed:

TIA

Dooood, don't be so chatty.

What kind of chilies? How many, what size?

You can pickle, dry, or freeze 'em. You can
make hot oils or vinegars. You can make salsas,
chutney's, or poppers. You can grind up the
dried ones and make hot pepper powders. You
can grill 'em, make stir fries, or hot bean dishes.
Or you can share with your friends and neighbors.

A lot depends on what kind you have, how many,
and how much work you want to put into them.

Pam
"ElissaAnn"
Old 29-09-2003, 04:31 AM
Gary Mattingly

In our last fun filled episode, Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:52:45 -0500,
Kevin Miller proclaimed:

TIA

Although I normally dry them in the oven and then grind them
up to create a really tasty powder I can use in or on many things,
I've tried and probably will try again the method I guess they
use in New Mexico a lot, roast them (various methods
to do this) until the skin blisters, peel off the skin and then freeze
the remaining skinned pepper. I guess they use it in everything.
This methodology can be found on many web pages.
Here's the first two I found:

http://www.ochef.com/101.htm
http://alibi.com/alibi/1999-09-09/feat.html

Gary

Old 29-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Gary Mattingly

In our last fun filled episode, Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:52:45 -0500,
Kevin Miller proclaimed:

TIA

Although I normally dry them in the oven and then grind them
up to create a really tasty powder I can use in or on many things,
I've tried and probably will try again the method I guess they
use in New Mexico a lot, roast them (various methods
to do this) until the skin blisters, peel off the skin and then freeze
the remaining skinned pepper. I guess they use it in everything.
This methodology can be found on many web pages.
Here's the first two I found:

http://www.ochef.com/101.htm
http://alibi.com/alibi/1999-09-09/feat.html

Gary

Heirloom Chilis or Peppers? Crystal Braun Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2007 03:11 PM
Container size for chilis and tomatillos Stan Goodman Edible Gardening 2 27-05-2004 08:10 PM
Jalapeno chilis Jeremy Lunn Australia 1 27-12-2003 09:32 AM
Storing chilis? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 9 22-08-2003 08:12 PM
harvesting chilis Neil Catley Edible Gardening 19 19-07-2003 03:12 AM