Old 21-08-2003, 03:02 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Storing chilis?

Hi,

there have been various chili threads but I can't recall one which talked
about how to store chilis without drying or freezing them.

Is it O.K. to blanch them in boiling water then store them in olive oil
(with the added side effect of spicy olive oil)?

TIA
Dave R

Old 21-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Serial Bodger

Have a look at

http://tinyurl.com/kqbo

has many ideas..

Or just do a google for preserving peppers.

Old 21-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Colin Malsingh

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:51:31 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

Is it O.K. to blanch them in boiling water then store them in olive oil

If you want the hassle.

What I do is just make sure they're clean then put them straight into
the freezer in a plastic bag.

I then use them straight from the freezer, as required. You may find
they are easier to cut when frozen (little stinging juice is
produced). This gives you the benefit of the taste of fresh chillis &
the convenience of freezer storage.

I do this for both home grown chillis and ones bought from the local
indian shops - very convenient as I always have "fresh" chillis
available.

Colin
-----
(Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)
Old 22-08-2003, 06:14 AM
Franz Heymann

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

there have been various chili threads but I can't recall one which talked
about how to store chilis without drying or freezing them.

Is it O.K. to blanch them in boiling water then store them in olive oil
(with the added side effect of spicy olive oil)?

That sounds like a first class idea to me.

Franz

Old 22-08-2003, 06:16 AM
Cerumen

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

there have been various chili threads but I can't recall one which

talked
about how to store chilis without drying or freezing them.

A friend used to store them as picked in sherry and a dash of that in game
soup was lovely.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 22-08-2003, 06:16 AM
David Rance

In message , David W.E.
Roberts writes

there have been various chili threads but I can't recall one which talked
about how to store chilis without drying or freezing them.

Is it O.K. to blanch them in boiling water then store them in olive oil
(with the added side effect of spicy olive oil)?

I pickle them in vinegar.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Le Mesnil Villement, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Calvados, France |

Old 22-08-2003, 06:16 AM
David Rance

In message , David W.E.
Roberts writes

Old 22-08-2003, 08:12 PM
len brauer

g'day dave,

there afre many links that give lots of ideas for chillie storage, we
use 2 methods 1 is to simply store them in apple cider vinegar, usualy
they are cut in 1/2 or the ends nipped off so the vinegar gets inside
the fruit. the othe way is we process them throught the food processor
then heat them to simmering then store both methods are stored in the
fridge.

you can also dry them by cutting them lengthways and string them u0p
until they are dry they can then be used like pepper when eating a
meal after crushing, haven't tried this one yet.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

Heirloom Chilis or Peppers? Crystal Braun Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2007 03:11 PM
Container size for chilis and tomatillos Stan Goodman Edible Gardening 2 27-05-2004 08:10 PM
Jalapeno chilis Jeremy Lunn Australia 1 27-12-2003 09:32 AM
How do I use/store my red chilis? Kevin Miller Edible Gardening 5 29-09-2003 04:32 AM
harvesting chilis Neil Catley Edible Gardening 19 19-07-2003 03:12 AM