Old 22-04-2007, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.pets.rabbits

Default Maggots

Worked my rabbit manure mine today. My free range buns poop
everywhere so it would be impossible to collect their poop without a
plan. My setup includes a 2'X3' cage with plastic bottom. I put
rabbit pellets in there daily and my buns deposit their pellets when
they eat. It took all winter but there was 3" worth of poop.

While scooping the little balls of poop into buckets I saw half dozen
white worms which I think might be maggots. It was one here and
another there and so on. There are flies now after the past few warm
days.

The poop didn't have any smell till I got pass the top layer. The top
was dried but the bottom was urine soaked and a bit stinky. The
bottom pellets was also white. Don't know if it's fungi or if it's
calcium. I didn't inspect them close up as I wasn't that curious.
Filled 3 five gallon buckets.

Hope this poop is as good as chicken shit. Last year I had some
pretty big bitter melons grown on a hill of 2 year old chicken poop.

Old 22-04-2007, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.pets.rabbits

I think the white residue is salt or other minerals: calcium etc. I've seen
that too. Also, I've notice poops get mold on them when they are damp. I bag
up Cocoa's for the composter.

--
God Bless,
Arlette, Cocoa & Brownie in heaven (See us here)

Old 22-04-2007, 09:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.pets.rabbits

I would be very careful leaving the poops long enough to develop maggots ...
They are usually fatal if they crawl into your bunnies.

It is really good fertilizer ...

--
Dori ...Cissy, Munk and Beeb in Heaven

ups.com...

Old 22-04-2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.pets.rabbits

On Apr 22, 9:55 am, "scGram" wrote:
I would be very careful leaving the poops long enough to develop maggots ...
They are usually fatal if they crawl into your bunnies.

It is really good fertilizer ...

--
Dori ...Cissy, Munk and Beeb in Heaven

-----------------------------------------------"James" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

pretty big bitter melons grown on a hill of 2 year old chicken poop.- Hide quoted text -

I collect poops up and put them on my house plants which grow really
well, so yes, it most certainly is a good fertiliser.
I too would not be leaving them alone long enough for maggots to get
into them.

Ros and the Varmints

Old 23-04-2007, 04:42 PM posted to alt.pets.rabbits,rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 22, 6:49 pm, (Beth Aylward) wrote:
not to mention you are leaving them food to eat over it with the lovely
smell of months old urine, poop and who knows what else. you are
inviting the flys to come and lay eggs on your bunnies while they much
in this lovely environment. sounds disgusting to me. and you critisize
us for keeping our buns in the house...

beth and her cute little fuzzbutts,

http://community.webtv.net/jerseybun...catsurehaslong

http://community.webtv.net/jerseybunny/Cutessa

http://community.webtv.net/jerseybun...unnyloveselvis

(this is the pics of amber's progress..)

Yup. Discusting. That's why I only do it in winter when there are no
flies. Anyway it's in the garden now.

Gardeners and horse people do not get grossed out by poop.
Interesting that some gardeners will bag up horse manure and transport
it in the back seats of their fancy cars. Not just the dried stuff
but the stinky fresh stuff.

Old 25-04-2007, 06:13 PM posted to alt.pets.rabbits,rec.gardens.edible

It is hardly the poop we're grossed out by . . . I don't about you,
but living with a bunny, I fully expect to deal with a lot of
poop . . . it's the situation you have your buns in that is
disgusting. Maybe as you claim you only do it in the winter when there
are no flies, but if this is the case why was it left long enough for
there to be maggots? And either way the fact that you are letting your
buns eat and sit in that filth with all the bacteria and such that
grow there is enough to be disturbing either way.

Stephanie

http://community.webtv.net/jerseybun...ttp://communit...

http://community.webtv.net/jerseybunny/Cutessa

http://community.webtv.net/jerseybun...unnyloveselvis

*(this is the pics of amber's progress..)

Yup. *Discusting. That's why I only do it in winter when there are no
flies. *Anyway it's in the garden now.

Gardeners and horse people do not get grossed out by poop.
Interesting that some gardeners will bag up horse manure and transport
it in the back seats of their fancy cars. *Not just the dried stuff
but the stinky fresh stuff.- Hide quoted text -

Old 25-04-2007, 07:48 PM posted to alt.pets.rabbits,rec.gardens.edible

Remember the source, Stephanie. APR's own resident troll. Yay us.

--
Camille
The StealthBunny

ups.com...