Old 05-05-2007, 11:46 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

Default It didn't pay for me to start my own from seed.

On Thu, 03 May 2007 08:54:04 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

In general, in the US it probably doesn't *pay* to grow peppers at
all. By the time you can grow them in a garden the local farmers
market is practically giving them away. Same with tomatoes.

Ah, a cup of coffee and a good morning rant.

-snip-

Not to discredit a good rant- and I even agree with about half of it--

So, yes Jim, from a strictly bottom line appraisal (future health costs
aside), gardening doesn't make much sense.

But that's what I said. The OP seemed to be lamenting that "it
didn't pay" to start his own.

Esthetically, though, there's
not much that can compare except music and, visual arts.

Not to mention the physical and mental therapy that it provides.

Jim

Old 05-05-2007, 06:25 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Thu, 03 May 2007 08:54:04 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

In general, in the US it probably doesn't *pay* to grow peppers at
all. By the time you can grow them in a garden the local farmers
market is practically giving them away. Same with tomatoes.

Ah, a cup of coffee and a good morning rant.

-snip-

Not to discredit a good rant- and I even agree with about half of it--

So, yes Jim, from a strictly bottom line appraisal (future health costs
aside), gardening doesn't make much sense.

But that's what I said. The OP seemed to be lamenting that "it
didn't pay" to start his own.

Esthetically, though, there's
not much that can compare except music and, visual arts.

Not to mention the physical and mental therapy that it provides.

Jim

Wake up Jim, you're not in Kansas anymore. Bad news is waiting for you
at http://www.foodnews.org/. Be sure to scroll down a little.

- Bill
Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

On May 5, 6:46 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Thu, 03 May 2007 08:54:04 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

In general, in the US it probably doesn't *pay* to grow peppers at
all. By the time you can grow them in a garden the local farmers
market is practically giving them away. Same with tomatoes.

Ah, a cup of coffee and a good morning rant.

-snip-

Not to discredit a good rant- and I even agree with about half of it--

So, yes Jim, from a strictly bottom line appraisal (future health costs
aside), gardening doesn't make much sense.

But that's what I said. The OP seemed to be lamenting that "it
didn't pay" to start his own.

Esthetically, though, there's
not much that can compare except music and, visual arts.

Not to mention the physical and mental therapy that it provides.

Jim

What kind of mental therapy is it when year after year just before you
harvest dem perfect babies some pests beats you to it?

Old 15-06-2007, 04:19 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

Had the same problem before. This year I bought all new seeds and had 100%
germination on everthing. Only problem is I didnt label them. My first
tomatoes are orange. I have all these different looking tomatoes. My peppers
are going well also I have five different kinds of Jalepnos alone. This has
been a lot of fun this year. My dad go into the planting with me and it has
been nice having something to talk about. We are already talking about next
year. I also have a bunch of different squash.
Most of the seeds were from Tomatogrowers.com.
"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
Used peat pellets and planted pepper seeds on 4/5. Using my heating
pad I was able to get half of them sprouting after 10+ days. Now 24
days later they still don't have the true leaves yet.

Since I keep my house at 60F or less and don't have grow light system
set up, they grow very slowly. Guess I need to really put some money
into a germination system or else turn up the heat to get a good
seedling crop. So it's much wiser for me to just buy from the
nursery. Even if i buy the mail order bare root plants from southern
nurseries, I would still save money and have bigger transplants. That
is until high gas prices make shipping too expensive.

Old 15-06-2007, 04:27 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

I don't like store bought tomatoes and I love tomatoes. Have you ever had
salsa when every single ingredient came from your garden 10 minutes earlier.
You just eat it like soup.
The colors of yellow orange red and purple peppers and tomatoes make a nice
tasting salsa.
"William Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

In general, in the US it probably doesn't *pay* to grow peppers at
all. By the time you can grow them in a garden the local farmers
market is practically giving them away. Same with tomatoes.

Ah, a cup of coffee and a good morning rant.

Jim, have you ever tasted a grilled red bell pepper minutes from the
garden? Have you ever tasted fresh-picked home-grown lettuce? Have you
ever tasted fresh-picked parsnips? I find it hard to believe that you
have. Super markets aside, even the farmers of farmers markets have to
grow for quantity. Fast grown plants just don't have the flavor of
plants that have been allowed to develop in a more natural environment
e.g. home grown lettuce has a bitter edge which you won't find in fast
grown lettuce. Growing at home allows you to have vegetables, when you
want them, in the quantity you want. As you correctly noted, home
gardening lets you pick the type of vegetable or fruit you want, which
leads to comparing and contrasting and, good dinner conversation which
is the sine qua non of good dining. (I think we've all had enough
conversation about those bar-sinistered types at 1600 Pennsylvannia Ave.)

Additionally, the provenance of our food has lately intruded into the
headlines. If you produce your own fruit and vegetables, you will have a
much better grasp of the quantity of escherichia coli (= fresh manure),
organophosphates or, glyphosate, in and on your food, than if you buy
them from a friendly stranger. At the very least, during the summer
months you can give your liver a rest from detoxifying the vegetables
that you eat.

So, yes Jim, from a strictly bottom line appraisal (future health costs
aside), gardening doesn't make much sense. Esthetically, though, there's
not much that can compare except music and, visual arts.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Old 15-06-2007, 06:13 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Aluckyguess"
wrote:

So, yes Jim, from a strictly bottom line appraisal (future health costs
aside), gardening doesn't make much sense. Esthetically, though, there's
not much that can compare except music and, visual arts.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Did I mention sex?

- Billy
Old 15-06-2007, 08:21 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

Aluckyguess wrote:

Had the same problem before. This year I bought all new seeds and had 100%
germination on everthing. Only problem is I didnt label them. My first
tomatoes are orange.

The orange cherry tomatoes I planted were the best I've ever tasted. I wish
I (a) hadn't eaten all of last year's crop and (b) hadn't neglected to find
seeds before now. Maybe next year.

--
Cheers, Bev
Hmph. I used to have snow tires. Never again. They melted in the
Old 16-06-2007, 06:57 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

The most benefit from starting your own seeds (if you have the appropriate
set up) is the choice of varities - specific for your own use.

I also do not have much luck in starting my own seeds now. I used the have
a light set up - bottom heating, extensive space for taking care of the
transplants - and did a lot of seed starting - not only veggies but also
successful with geraniums.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Old 16-06-2007, 08:57 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

JonquilJan wrote:
The most benefit from starting your own seeds (if you have the appropriate
set up) is the choice of varities - specific for your own use.

I also do not have much luck in starting my own seeds now. I used the have
a light set up - bottom heating, extensive space for taking care of the
transplants - and did a lot of seed starting - not only veggies but also
successful with geraniums.

This sounds like a business opportunity. You buy the seeds and they
start them for an appropriate charge.

Anthony