Old 01-06-2007, 10:22 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

Default Cheap sources of seeds.

I've had varying success using food as a cheap source of seeds. Most
of the dried peas and beans work. A small packet these days usually
cost over $1. A pound of Fava Beans or whole green peas cost less
than that and they usually work.

This year I used Goya green peas for seeds because that's what was
available at the grocer. They turned out to be about 4' tall, didn't
need support, and not bad in taste or yield. Peas are iffy here
because of the climate. I just had a 3' short row this year. Next
year I might try a whole row.

Seeds from a ripe bitter melon always works. I had no success from
sun dried peppers probably because the seeds were too old. Green
pepper seeds are not matured enough to work.

Fruits seeds work but it that too many years for them to produce
fruit.

Bulk seeds like alfalfa, wheat, barley, etc. from health food stores
usually works for sprouting.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:52 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:

Fruits seeds work but it that too many years for them to produce
fruit.

I gathered some tabebuia tree seeds from the parking lot across the street
two or three years ago, and one of the treelets produced four yellow flowers
this year. WOO-HOO!

--
Cheers, Bev
"I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the
Old 02-06-2007, 08:28 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:

[...]

Do some reading and searching around about seed preparation. (Try
searching on "seed saving") AIRC some seeds, like tomato and green
pepper, don't work "as-is" and need to be fermented and then dried.

Rick
Old 02-06-2007, 11:19 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Rick wrote:

James wrote:

[...]

Problem is that industrial strength veggies, that are purchased at super
markets, are basically bred for loooooooooong shelf life. Think of them
as the "twinkies" of the vegetable kingdom. Wouldn't you rather have
the best tasting rather than the longest lasting fruits and vegetables.
If you insist on this approach, at least go to a LOCAL farmers market
where the produced was just picked. Ask the people at the table what it
is that you are buying and, if there is a selection, ask what the
differences are. Think globally, eat locally.

- Billy
Old 04-06-2007, 05:57 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article , Rick wrote:

James wrote:

I've had varying success using food as a cheap source of seeds. Most
of the dried peas and beans work. A small packet these days usually
cost over $1. A pound of Fava Beans or whole green peas cost less
than that and they usually work.

[snip]

Problem is that industrial strength veggies, that are purchased at super
markets, are basically bred for loooooooooong shelf life. Think of them
as the "twinkies" of the vegetable kingdom. Wouldn't you rather have
the best tasting rather than the longest lasting fruits and vegetables.
If you insist on this approach, at least go to a LOCAL farmers market
where the produced was just picked. Ask the people at the table what it
is that you are buying and, if there is a selection, ask what the
differences are. Think globally, eat locally.

I think, an even bigger problem, is the whole hybrid thing. You
get seeds that may or may not have the characteristics of the
parent fruit/vegetable.

Cheap sources of wood to make raised beds...? Mikey[_1_] United Kingdom 7 20-08-2009 01:43 PM
cheap parts sources sought RB Lawns 4 11-05-2006 03:17 PM
US sources for bamboo seeds? JNJ Bamboo 0 02-05-2003 02:32 AM
Cheap and Interesting seed sources Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 18-03-2003 09:00 PM