Old 02-06-2007, 09:52 AM posted to england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

Default Turnips failure - v odd

My daughter planted a row of turnips and only the left-hand 50% have come
through to show some early leaf growth - the rest, nothing at all.

They don't use weedkillers so nothing has been applied by them to the
surface to prevent germination.

Any ideas what could cause such a weird effect?

--
Brian

Old 02-06-2007, 05:46 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
My daughter planted a row of turnips and only the left-hand 50% have come
through to show some early leaf growth - the rest, nothing at all.

They don't use weedkillers so nothing has been applied by them to the
surface to prevent germination.

Any ideas what could cause such a weird effect?

I don't know where you live but Turnips are a cool weather crop usually
planted in the fall - here in zone 6.

--
Brian

Old 02-06-2007, 05:54 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

Brian Watson wrote:
My daughter planted a row of turnips and only the left-hand 50% have come
through to show some early leaf growth - the rest, nothing at all.

They don't use weedkillers so nothing has been applied by them to the
surface to prevent germination.

Any ideas what could cause such a weird effect?

Have they been covered with a floating row cover? Turnip (and its
cousins) are an irresistible spot for flies to lay their eggs. The
maggots will then hatch and feast on the roots.

If you're only getting 25% sprout rate then my other thought is that the
seeds are no good. Seeds also need to have good drainage but kept moist
at the same time. Too much H2O could have rotted the seeds in the ground
(which might explain why one side was decimated).

I plant mine in raised beds with a floating row cover tucked into the
sides. The row cover can stay on the turnip until they're ready to be
picked....removing it only to weed. You can water and fertilize through
the fabric. If you're planting in the ground, hill the soil so that
excess water/rain will drain away....but don't let it go dry to the
point that the soil is light brown and crumbly.

When they do grow, pick them when they're about the size of a
baseball/softball. If you leave them too long, they'll get a 'woody'
taste to them.

And it's probably not too late to try again. I can sometimes get two
plantings in our very short season.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:00 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

Garbodanno wrote:

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
My daughter planted a row of turnips and only the left-hand 50% have
come through to show some early leaf growth - the rest, nothing at all.

They don't use weedkillers so nothing has been applied by them to the
surface to prevent germination.

Any ideas what could cause such a weird effect?

I don't know where you live but Turnips are a cool weather crop usually
planted in the fall - here in zone 6.

I get two full plantings in 5b. I've never had problems even during the
hottest summers (which around here is lucky to reach 30c).

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

"Brian Watson" wrote...
My daughter planted a row of turnips and only the left-hand 50% have come
through to show some early leaf growth - the rest, nothing at all.

They don't use weedkillers so nothing has been applied by them to the
surface to prevent germination.

Any ideas what could cause such a weird effect?

I'll take a bet it's Flea Beatle. Very bad this year, despite dusting all
brassicas with Derris Dust as soon as the seedlings appear we have still
lost half out Turnips and a lot of Radishes with the remainder looking like
lace as do our planted out cabbages.
If you have never seen it look for tiny pin head sized little shiny black
dots that jump if you try to touch them.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-06-2007, 02:35 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I'll take a bet it's Flea Beatle. Very bad this year

I've given up trying to grow radishes in the garden due to Flea Beetle. I'm
lucky to get any before they are trashed.
Now I grow radishes in a seed tray of fresh potting compost, keeping the
tray on an old table out of reach of the ground. Has worked thus far. Pity I
can't use the same technique with turnips.

David.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:01 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I'll take a bet it's Flea Beatle. Very bad this year

I've given up trying to grow radishes in the garden due to Flea Beetle. I'm
lucky to get any before they are trashed.
Now I grow radishes in a seed tray of fresh potting compost, keeping the
tray on an old table out of reach of the ground. Has worked thus far. Pity I
can't use the same technique with turnips.

David.

Have you tried using Remay? We enjoy root maggots here. Remay kept in
place until 4th of July pretty much solves the problem.

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:02 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

"Jan Flora" wrote.after..
"David \(Normandy\)" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote
I'll take a bet it's Flea Beatle. Very bad this year

I've given up trying to grow radishes in the garden due to Flea Beetle.
I'm
lucky to get any before they are trashed.
Now I grow radishes in a seed tray of fresh potting compost, keeping the
tray on an old table out of reach of the ground. Has worked thus far.
Pity I
can't use the same technique with turnips.

Have you tried using Remay? We enjoy root maggots here. Remay kept in
place until 4th of July pretty much solves the problem.

What is Remay? Is it what we call "Enviromesh"?
http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/...sfile=1&jump=0

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-06-2007, 11:24 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Jan Flora" wrote.after..
"David \(Normandy\)" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote
I'll take a bet it's Flea Beatle. Very bad this year
I've given up trying to grow radishes in the garden due to Flea Beetle.
I'm
lucky to get any before they are trashed.
Now I grow radishes in a seed tray of fresh potting compost, keeping the
tray on an old table out of reach of the ground. Has worked thus far.
Pity I
can't use the same technique with turnips.

Have you tried using Remay? We enjoy root maggots here. Remay kept in
place until 4th of July pretty much solves the problem.

What is Remay? Is it what we call "Enviromesh"?
http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/...sfile=1&jump=0

LOL. And we call it Floating Row Cover.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:26 AM posted to england.rec.gardening,rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for all responses.

We are going to try reseeding the affected part of the row and see if the
phenomenon recurs.

--
Brian

Turnips failure - v odd Brian Watson United Kingdom 12 05-06-2007 09:26 AM
Radishes or turnips ??? AndyS Edible Gardening 5 20-05-2006 03:01 PM
Problems with turnips. ah United Kingdom 0 20-10-2004 01:23 AM
Turnips Greens Jackee Edible Gardening 2 27-06-2004 08:03 PM
Turnips Steve B United Kingdom 3 08-06-2003 01:44 AM