Old 07-06-2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Spots on leaves - please help

My tomato and pepper plants have spots on the leaves and I'd like to
know what to do.

I planted these on May 24 in containers and set them on my deck. I
sprayed them on May 28 with a spray that contains potassium salts of
fatty acids and sulfur. A few days later, I noticed a few spots on the
pepper plant at the tips of the bottom leaves. Then today I noticed
spots on the tomato plants mostly near the bottom.

Here's a picture of the tomato plants - http://www.geocities.com/littleboybl...sky-6-4-07.jpg
and
www.geocities.com/littleboyblu87/tomatoplant.jpg

Could any of these problems be caused by self-watering bottles that I
have set up in the containers? Perhaps there's a problem with things
getting in the water that could cause disease? Or maybe the plants
aren't getting enough water or fertilizer?

What can I do to save the plants? I only have two tomato plants and
one pepper plant.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mike S. said:

My tomato and pepper plants have spots on the leaves and I'd like to
know what to do.

I planted these on May 24 in containers and set them on my deck. I
sprayed them on May 28 with a spray that contains potassium salts of
fatty acids and sulfur. A few days later, I noticed a few spots on the
pepper plant at the tips of the bottom leaves. Then today I noticed
spots on the tomato plants mostly near the bottom.

Was it a bright, warm sunny day when you sprayed them? They
could have been burned by the spray. (I only ever spray tomatoes
with seaweed spray and occassionally used copper dust, and I never
spray any plants with anything in the midday sun, except when I'm
spraying to kill weeds.)

Had they been properly hardened off to outdoor conditions? They
could have been sun burned.

Here's a picture of the tomato plants -

http://www.geocities.com/littleboybl...sky-6-4-07.jpg
and
www.geocities.com/littleboyblu87/tomatoplant.jpg

Could any of these problems be caused by self-watering bottles that I
have set up in the containers? Perhaps there's a problem with things
getting in the water that could cause disease?

Nothing to worry about there.

Or maybe the plants aren't getting enough water or fertilizer?

Too much fertilizer or mineral salts in a potted can burn the leaf tips
like that.

What can I do to save the plants? I only have two tomato plants and
one pepper plant.

I suggest you rinse the plants down and flush the pots (water them
till it runs out the bottom). Put the plants where they will get some
afternoon shade and move the tomatoes gradually back into full sun.
(In my experience, peppers like a little shade in the afternoon heat.)

(attributed to Don Marti)