Old 10-07-2007, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomatoes not growing...

Glenna Rose wrote:
writes:

This has been an excellent example of a 'high-jacked'
thread. What about Sarah and her tomato problem? There has
been all kinds of advice for the driveway problems and next
to nothing to help out Sarah.

Hobo

In the first few responses, it looked like it was pretty much decided
there wasn't much to do since it appeared the Roundup was responsible for
the tomato plants not growing problem.

Sorry, Hobo, perhaps we should have changed the thread name. ??? We are
back-yard gardeners, not computer gurus. Actually, the thread changed
quite logically if you look at the posts in order so I'm not sure at what
point the subject line should have been changed. Perhaps you can give
advice as to that. Apparently it didn't bother anyone enough to change
the subject line. As I understand it, a "high-jacked" thread is one that
was changed totally with no reference to the original or preceding (or
text from the previous) with the intent of misrepresentation. That did
not happen here; there was no intent to deceive or to use the thread for
spam or other purposes.

Do you have a solution for Sarah? If so, please post it. It would be
most appreciated.

Glenna
(who uses a real email address)

Hi, Glenna

No, unfortunately I don't have a solution for Sarah. There
are many knowledgeable people in this news group and I was
hoping to find more info and advice regarding the use of
herbicides in the vicinity of gardens. The threads today
have been most enlightening with some good info provided.

I too am a back yard gardener. I have two plots each about
thirty by fifty feet and I grow a wide variety of veggies
and fruit. I try not to use herbicides and pesticides as
much as possible but find that during the growing season
they are sometimes needed and any info and opinions about
their use is appreciated.

As far as high-jacked threads are concerned, it usually
occurs quite innocently such as happened here. Instead of
changing the thread name as you suggested, a better approach
would have been to start a new thread. This way people who
wanted to respond to Sarah's problem, or follow the thread
to see what info had been provided, would be able to do so
in a natural progression instead of hitting thread after
thread about driveway weed problems. And, no Glenna, I don't
consider myself a computer guru - just someone who gets
frustrated sometimes when things like this happen.

As far as real email addresses are concerned, most people I
know do not use them for usenet groups due to the potential
spam problem. Having experienced this myself I have learned
the hard way and take what steps I can to prevent it.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. Hope you have a good
growing season.

Hobo
jgalex at xplornet dot com