Old 07-07-2007, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomatoes not growing...

Hello....

I planted tomatoes in southern New Mexico. The ground had no previous
garden, looked OK. I tilled in organic compost to 10", lots of
compost. Planted several varieties, 15 plants, in a row. Automatic
watering with drip hose, ground covered by black plastic weed stopper
(breathes). Killed grass around with roundup (had bermuda reaching
into garden). Covered all plants with plastic bags first. Bags seemed
to make hot house and make tomatoes grow but Ieft them on 2 days and
it killed plants on one side of garden (more sun). Replaced those with
new plants. Put time release fetrilize on soil and soaked in when
first planted, have used liquid fertilizer two times since. Direct sun
5 - 6 hours a day, lots of indirect light (shade under tree)
otherwise.

Planted 1.5 months ago. All plants, old and new, at just sitting
there, no or very little increase in height...all except one plant on
the end away from new plants. This one is growing very well, lush,
getting taller. Others have green tops, lower limbs died some time
ago. The green tops look healthy but donig nothing, some scraggly.
Don't know why but get the feeling some of them are on their way to
dying, or maybe they just won't grow.

Why aren't they growing? Searched the web, I see lots of diseases, and
will try to look close at the plants when I return (on vacation for
few days).

Any advice would really be appreciated. I only grew tomatoes once
before, in New Jersey, and they were a spectacular success with little
effort.

Thanks very much,
Sarah

Old 07-07-2007, 01:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Aluckyguess"
wrote:

Why aren't they growing? Searched the web, I see lots of diseases, and
will try to look close at the plants when I return (on vacation for
few days).

Any advice would really be appreciated. I only grew tomatoes once
before, in New Jersey, and they were a spectacular success with little
effort.

Thanks very much,
Sarah

Round up!

I was thinking the same thing.
She may have poisoned the soil and would have been better off pulling
the weeds.

I know that I sure don't trust Monsanto's claims and only use roundup
for total kill in the gravel driveway. I don't use it in plant beds,
ESPECIALLY around plants I'm using for food.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , "Aluckyguess"
wrote:

Why aren't they growing? Searched the web, I see lots of diseases, and
will try to look close at the plants when I return (on vacation for
few days).

Any advice would really be appreciated. I only grew tomatoes once
before, in New Jersey, and they were a spectacular success with little
effort.

Thanks very much,
Sarah

Round up!

I was thinking the same thing.
She may have poisoned the soil and would have been better off pulling
the weeds.

I know that I sure don't trust Monsanto's claims and only use roundup
for total kill in the gravel driveway. I don't use it in plant beds,
ESPECIALLY around plants I'm using for food.

Having never used "Agent Orange", I would have thought that it would
have taken out the whole plant, instead of withering the lower branches
and stunting it with a healthy looking crown. I've seen a vineyard hit
by "drift" but it was a pretty ugly sight.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 07-07-2007, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , "Aluckyguess"
wrote:

[...]

Roundup is worse on grasses than broadleaf weeds and it takes a certain
"dosage" to kill the plants.

I've been trying for years to kill off stands of Johnson Grass here
using Roundup.

Nothing short of deep hand digging will get rid of that accursed stuff!
And if you miss a single node...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article , "Aluckyguess"
wrote:

[...]

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
Nicholson

Maybe you can help regarding driveway kill chemicals. Here's the story. My
house is on a bit of a hill. The front yard is downhill from that. The
circle type gravel driveway, flat of course, just outside and in front of
the front yard.

I had no lawn in the front yard, just rocks and caliche and native foliage
that barely grows in that. Hill country, central TX. So, made a short rock
wall downhill wide enough for the mower to negotiate between the fence and
the wall. Spent weeks moving brought in soil uphill from the rock wall to
the house. Its got less of slope now as a result. Dropped some bermuda
grass seed and some 10-5-5 fertilizer pellets, and raked into the soil.
Finally got some green in the front yard.

All the seed didn't stay put due to all the rain here. All has been soaked
and washed for more than a month. Some of the seed made its way to the
gravel/roadbase driveway. The washed soil never made it that far, just the
fenceline.

Due to the wash, I've gotten alot of bermuda grass there in the driveway
now. Some native weeds have taken a liking to it as well. Expensive, but
works is charcoal lighter fluid. Used motor oil as well. Anything out
there that kills bermuda grass?

If not, in a couple of years, plan to repave with asphalt over the area with
another layer of roadbase beneath.
Dave

Old 07-07-2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , "Aluckyguess"
wrote:

[...]

The version of Johnson grass the grew behind the backyard in my parent's
home when was growing up was a problem. It finally submitted with low
cutting lawnmower year after year. Removing the rocks and filling the
divots was key to allow this. Johnson grass needs height to proliferate.
Dave

Old 07-07-2007, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

Due to the wash, I've gotten alot of bermuda grass there in the driveway
now. Some native weeds have taken a liking to it as well. Expensive, but
works is charcoal lighter fluid. Used motor oil as well. Anything out
there that kills bermuda grass?

Roundup and landscaping fabric.

You can get it at Lowe's. Put a light layer of sand over it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

The version of Johnson grass the grew behind the backyard in my parent's
home when was growing up was a problem. It finally submitted with low
cutting lawnmower year after year. Removing the rocks and filling the
divots was key to allow this. Johnson grass needs height to proliferate.
Dave

Or a way to escape via the roots. :-)

I need to try landscaping fabric on it, with a good mulch covering.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 6, 10:23 pm, Sarah wrote:
[...]

Did you plant varieties that don't keep growing?

Perhaps you tilled in too much organic matter and it's taking too much
N so the tomatoes don't get any. Dying lower limbs can be disease of
a lack of N or light. Considering you're using drip irrigation it's
probably nof disease.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

Due to the wash, I've gotten alot of bermuda grass there in the driveway
now. Some native weeds have taken a liking to it as well. Expensive,
but
works is charcoal lighter fluid. Used motor oil as well. Anything out
there that kills bermuda grass?

Roundup and landscaping fabric.

You can get it at Lowe's. Put a light layer of sand over it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
Nicholson

Roundup would be fine in most of the gravel driveway area. Some not as wash
would go to my edible food garden. Will try roundup where appropriate.

Will landscaping fabric holdup to light automobile/truck traffic? Can I
just throw a heavy tarp over it instead? Area is about 100' long by 12'
wide on straight section of gravel driveway.
Dave

Old 08-07-2007, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

A tarp would work too. Any kind of covering that will block light. Old
bits of carpet will work for awhile and hold up to traffic, but after
awhile, things will sprout thru carpet. It's good for initial
elimination. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 20:46:52 -0700, "Aluckyguess" wrote:

Round up!
"Sarah" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You can check here for the extension service in your area. They are
a very good source for local problems.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

This is also a good source for tomato problems.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ves/index.html

I do not think it is caused by Round Up. If you had gotten spray on
the leaves the plants would be completely dead by now. I have used it
on horse nettle around all of my vegetable plants and have had not bad
effects to anything except the horse nettle. The sprayer on the Round
Up container has both spray and foam settings. I used the foam
setting with the head almost touching the plants I wanted to kill.

If others have actually had problems definitely attributable to using
Round Up, tell us about it.
--
Susan N.