Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Bees

I've never seen it so closely before. Walking down from the front gate,
I noticed a honey bee working one of the echinaceas. She was very
entense. She would grab one of the pistils(?) and hug it intently and
then move on, leaving behind a dot of yellow that was very visible
against the green, orange, and red of the pistils. Looking closer, I saw
that on the bee's hind-legs, it had like cargo pockets stuffed with this
yellow stuff (pollen?) And where ever it stopped on the echinacea it
left a little yellow dot. Then I noticed that the green-orange-red
pistils that the bee hadn't visited, had like a little drop, like dew,
on their tip. At least five minutes passed while I was lost in
contemplation. Good day:-)
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 09-07-2007, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

on 09/07/2007, Billy Rose supposed :
I've never seen it so closely before. Walking down from the front gate,
I noticed a honey bee working one of the echinaceas. She was very
entense. She would grab one of the pistils(?) and hug it intently and
then move on, leaving behind a dot of yellow that was very visible
against the green, orange, and red of the pistils. Looking closer, I saw
that on the bee's hind-legs, it had like cargo pockets stuffed with this
yellow stuff (pollen?) And where ever it stopped on the echinacea it
left a little yellow dot. Then I noticed that the green-orange-red
pistils that the bee hadn't visited, had like a little drop, like dew,
on their tip. At least five minutes passed while I was lost in
contemplation. Good day:-)

It's a "wonderful world".

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Billy Rose expounded:

I've never seen it so closely before. Walking down from the front gate,
I noticed a honey bee working one of the echinaceas. She was very
entense. She would grab one of the pistils(?) and hug it intently and
then move on, leaving behind a dot of yellow that was very visible
against the green, orange, and red of the pistils. Looking closer, I saw
that on the bee's hind-legs, it had like cargo pockets stuffed with this
yellow stuff (pollen?) And where ever it stopped on the echinacea it
left a little yellow dot. Then I noticed that the green-orange-red
pistils that the bee hadn't visited, had like a little drop, like dew,
on their tip.
--

Those little 'pollen baskets' on the legs of bees are called
corbicula. They don't just stuff pollen in 'em, they also collect the

At least five minutes passed while I was lost in
contemplation. Good day:-)

I could watch them for hours. Right about now they're mostly flying
back to their hive, if I sit just right out there I can see them
glistening in the setting sun. Breathtaking!
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Old 12-07-2007, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 13:02:03 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

I've never seen it so closely before. Walking down from the front gate,
I noticed a honey bee working one of the echinaceas. She was very
entense. She would grab one of the pistils(?) and hug it intently and
then move on, leaving behind a dot of yellow that was very visible
against the green, orange, and red of the pistils. Looking closer, I saw
that on the bee's hind-legs, it had like cargo pockets stuffed with this
yellow stuff (pollen?) And where ever it stopped on the echinacea it
left a little yellow dot. Then I noticed that the green-orange-red
pistils that the bee hadn't visited, had like a little drop, like dew,
on their tip. At least five minutes passed while I was lost in
contemplation. Good day:-)

Well, it is nice to read something good about bees. I'm very
concerned about all those empty hives all across the world.