Old 14-07-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default crows and corn solution

Hi all,

Just posting this in case it helps another frustrated gardener sick of
having crows pull up new corn and ruining your corn crop. I remember
when once, I took my family out for a movie in the middle of the day,
and that was just long enough for the crows to decimate my crop, which
was fairly large. I was so mad I almost sat out there with a gun.
You know the situation, the corn is just coming up out of the ground,
and the birds come along and pull out the plants to get at the seed,
killing the plant. I suffered this for a few years, doing the usual
crap like pie pans, rags, decoys, and the really bad advice of having
enough bird food in your bird feeders so the crows would eat the bird
food instead of the corn. I think all that did was just attract more
crows. Anyway the solution is very simple, and cheap. I wish I could
say that I thought very hard about this, but the truth is it was just
an accident. Anyway, the fix: when you plant your corn, leave the
string up between your row marker sticks. I use string between my
sticks, otherwise when I hoe my row, it tends to not be very straight.
i.e. stick your two row marker sticks in the soil, tie up your marker
string, and hoe your row. Plant the corn, cover it up, but leave the
string. When you are done, every single row of corn will have a
string over the top of it, and this works 100% at keeping birds from
eating your corn. I think they are too afraid of landing in it. Once
the corn gets big enough you can get rid of that string. I stumbled
across this one year, by leaving a couple of strings up for some
reason or another, got attacked by crows, and the 2 rows that had
string up were untouched.

Hope this helps,

-Jerry

Old 15-07-2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi All,
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Use black cotton as they can not see it, and when they land on it scares
the hell out of them You can use old vidio tape the reflection of it will
scare them away. You can allso use old C. D, discs. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Crows Shadow Gardening 5 03-03-2003 02:39 PM
Crows eradicated in DC, Paghat debunked animaux Gardening 32 29-01-2003 06:01 PM
Crows eradicated - IntarsiaCo NewsUser Gardening 1 28-01-2003 07:37 PM
Crows eradicated in DC, Paghat debunked IntarsiaCo Gardening 2 28-01-2003 05:57 PM
Crows eradicated in DC paghat Gardening 1 28-01-2003 03:51 AM