Old 27-07-2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

Default drought conditions

On Jul 19, 11:45 am, rachael simpson
wrote:
just to show you how dry it is around here...........

the local paper did an article on the corn crops this summer:

http://clintonnc.com/articles/2007/0...topstory95.txt

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/12_week.gif

Old 27-07-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

just to show you how dry it is around here...........

the local paper did an article on the corn crops this summer:

http://clintonnc.com/articles/2007/0...topstory95.txt

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/12_week.gif

nice link! just how is drought levels determined there? i noticed it
said local conditions vary. locally, not only are the crops & pastures
suffering, but the wells, rivers, streams, etc. are drying up.
currently, our area is down by nearly 17 inches in the rain-fall
department. while i know it could all be just talk, the area elders
are all saying it is the worst they've seen in years.

Old 27-07-2007, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"raeannsimpson" wrote in message
ps.com...
| On Jul 27, 11:23 am, z wrote:
| On Jul 19, 11:45 am, rachael simpson
| wrote:
|
| just to show you how dry it is around here...........
|
| the local paper did an article on the corn crops this summer:

http://clintonnc.com/articles/2007/0...topstory95.txt

| http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/12_week.gif
|
| nice link! just how is drought levels determined there? i noticed it
| said local conditions vary. locally, not only are the crops & pastures
| suffering, but the wells, rivers, streams, etc. are drying up.
| currently, our area is down by nearly 17 inches in the rain-fall
| department. while i know it could all be just talk, the area elders
| are all saying it is the worst they've seen in years.

So doesn't that mean that they've seen it before now? To have not seen it
in years? Ebb and flow.

Kimberly
living in drought conditions - Georgia 7bish

Old 27-07-2007, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Kimberly wrote:
"raeannsimpson" wrote in message
ps.com...
| On Jul 27, 11:23 am, z wrote:
| On Jul 19, 11:45 am, rachael simpson
| wrote:
|
| just to show you how dry it is around here...........
|
| the local paper did an article on the corn crops this summer:

http://clintonnc.com/articles/2007/0...topstory95.txt

| http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/12_week.gif
|
| nice link! just how is drought levels determined there? i noticed it
| said local conditions vary. locally, not only are the crops & pastures
| suffering, but the wells, rivers, streams, etc. are drying up.
| currently, our area is down by nearly 17 inches in the rain-fall
| department. while i know it could all be just talk, the area elders
| are all saying it is the worst they've seen in years.

So doesn't that mean that they've seen it before now? To have not seen it
in years? Ebb and flow.

Kimberly
living in drought conditions - Georgia 7bish

yeah......25+ years ago...before my time! lol

I guess it mainly seems worse to me this year, because last year we had
so much excess rain, and the crops flourished. This year hay is in big
demand because there isn't any near by. We've had to drop regular
customers and will be lucky if we have enough to get us thru to next hay
season.

thankfully, our well hasn't run out, while some neighbor's (about 5
miles out) well ran dry around 3 weeks ago. They've been buying and
borrowing water (and showers!).
That's not the only case of wells run dry locally.