Old 19-07-2007, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default drought conditions

just to show you how dry it is around here...........

the local paper did an article on the corn crops this summer:

http://clintonnc.com/articles/2007/0...topstory95.txt
Old 19-07-2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

just to show you how dry it is around here...........

the local paper did an article on the corn crops this summer:

http://clintonnc.com/articles/2007/0...topstory95.txt

Terrible!

We had a dry summer nothing like what you describe. So the following
growing season we mulched real heavy an as it happened we had a very wet
season. You can put it on but we can't take it off. This a few years
back about ~ 5.

Anyway

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

Hoping for moderation in some things.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 19-07-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 7/19/2007 8:45 AM, rachael simpson wrote:
just to show you how dry it is around here...........

the local paper did an article on the corn crops this summer:

http://clintonnc.com/articles/2007/0...topstory95.txt

“Some of my tobacco crops have seen just two inches of rain since April
18,” admits Lynn Carr, of Carr Farms in Newton Grove.

In the 12 months ending 30 June, Los Angeles had 3.21 inches. Where I
live, we had mo 4.57 inches for the year. It is now 90 days since
the last measurable rain, and we won't likely see any rain until November.

No, I don't live in Death Valley or the Mojave Desert. I live in
Ventura County, one of the nation's most important agricultural
counties. We are a major source of lemons, strawberries, avocados,
tomatoes, celery, and other produce as well as nursery stock and cut
flowers.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 19-07-2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

REMEMBER that the biggest problem for trees during drought is over watering
of urban trees. Of course lack of nurse logs in wooded areas is a serious
problem for trees during drought.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 20-07-2007, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

And in Central TX we've had more rain then we normally get in a year.
I suppose climate change has nothing to do with this.

Old 20-07-2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Right...

;-)

Ice Age anyone?

wrote:

REMEMBER that the biggest problem for trees during drought is over watering
of urban trees. Of course lack of nurse logs in wooded areas is a serious
problem for trees during drought.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
just to show you how dry it is around here...........

the local paper did an article on the corn crops this summer:

http://clintonnc.com/articles/2007/0...topstory95.txt

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 20-07-2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

That's after coming out of a 3 year drought. The last year was considered a
severe drought. Year total to date this year exceeds the entire yearly
total expected in an average year by 50%. Everything including the dead
lawns are now green. Live oaks in the hill country are still sprouting new
leaves, unusual. The bug and varmint population is loving it.

The cause of the drought (high pressure cells hanging in one place for an
extended period of time), and unusual amount of precipitation/cloud
cover/lower temps (low cells doing similar) is debatable. After "proof" is
presented, its a matter of leap of faith to arrive at a conclusion. That's
what science is based on, many people forget.
Dave

wrote:

REMEMBER that the biggest problem for trees during drought is over
watering
of urban trees. Of course lack of nurse logs in wooded areas is a serious
problem for trees during drought.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us

Old 21-07-2007, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
just to show you how dry it is around here...........

the local paper did an article on the corn crops this summer:

http://clintonnc.com/articles/2007/0...topstory95.txt

Awful. Here in TN we're so far below normal in rainfall pastures are
already brown and stock ponds are drying up. Crops have failed and unless
watered, gardens dry up and die. This is the worst drought I can remember
since moving here 25 years ago.

My recommendation is to keep the faith. Adjust to the drought, don't ignore
it, or not adjust to it. When your typical water sources for people
consumption are disappearing, it time to adjust even more. A garden and/or
lawn may be out of the question. Don't wait for litigation by local
authorities. Assure your neighbors are on the same page if all of you don't
use a a municipal water source.
Dave

Old 21-07-2007, 08:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 21, 12:33 am, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

Some of those English folks probably wished they had a drought this
year.

Old 21-07-2007, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

We normally get 31 inches of rain in C. Texas. We sit directly in the
part of this state where four of the ten regions in TX intersect. We
are also on the dry line.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying we don't have
problems with climate change on the planet? Did you not see An
Inconvenient Truth? I saw plenty of evidence in that film.

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:36:41 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

That's after coming out of a 3 year drought. The last year was considered a
severe drought. Year total to date this year exceeds the entire yearly
total expected in an average year by 50%. Everything including the dead
lawns are now green. Live oaks in the hill country are still sprouting new
leaves, unusual. The bug and varmint population is loving it.

The cause of the drought (high pressure cells hanging in one place for an
extended period of time), and unusual amount of precipitation/cloud
cover/lower temps (low cells doing similar) is debatable. After "proof" is
presented, its a matter of leap of faith to arrive at a conclusion. That's
what science is based on, many people forget.
Dave

.. .

Old 21-07-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Yep, that's where we're at. That dry line may move or disappear if it keeps
raining...

I've seen plenty of evidence to support that we're in the middle of a
climate change. Including the Al Gore film concerning global warming.

My opinion is there is enough evidence to conclude so as well. The basic
core reason for me, like so many other things, is the human population is
too high for this planet to support. Their energy usage habits, resulting
of CO gases are just secondary effects. The basic problem remains
unaddressed. Depressing and sad as it may be, only a calamity can fix it.
Dave

wrote:

That's after coming out of a 3 year drought. The last year was considered
severe drought. Year total to date this year exceeds the entire yearly
total expected in an average year by 50%. Everything including the dead
lawns are now green. Live oaks in the hill country are still sprouting
new
leaves, unusual. The bug and varmint population is loving it.

The cause of the drought (high pressure cells hanging in one place for an
extended period of time), and unusual amount of precipitation/cloud
cover/lower temps (low cells doing similar) is debatable. After "proof"
is
presented, its a matter of leap of faith to arrive at a conclusion.
That's
what science is based on, many people forget.
Dave

. ..

Old 21-07-2007, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

That's after coming out of a 3 year drought. The last year was considered
severe drought. Year total to date this year exceeds the entire yearly
total expected in an average year by 50%. Everything including the dead
lawns are now green. Live oaks in the hill country are still sprouting
new
leaves, unusual. The bug and varmint population is loving it.

The cause of the drought (high pressure cells hanging in one place for an
extended period of time), and unusual amount of precipitation/cloud
cover/lower temps (low cells doing similar) is debatable. After "proof"
is
presented, its a matter of leap of faith to arrive at a conclusion.
That's
what science is based on, many people forget.
Dave

. ..

wrote:

REMEMBER that the biggest problem for trees during drought is over
watering
of urban trees. Of course lack of nurse logs in wooded areas is a
serious
problem for trees during drought.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep
reminding
us
that we are not the boss.

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
just to show you how dry it is around here...........

the local paper did an article on the corn crops this summer:

http://clintonnc.com/articles/2007/0...topstory95.txt

If it makes you feel better, birth rates in industrialized countries are
falling, have been for quite some time. Give people a better standard of
living and they have fewer kids. Subsistence agriculture, on the other
hand, require more labor and therefore more births.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 21-07-2007, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Sadly, I think you're right. The whole of it breaks my heart. When I
was a kid we had two hundred million people. Now it's three hundred
million and expected to go up to four hundred million by 2050. Sad.

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:51:01 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

Yep, that's where we're at. That dry line may move or disappear if it keeps
raining...

I've seen plenty of evidence to support that we're in the middle of a
climate change. Including the Al Gore film concerning global warming.

My opinion is there is enough evidence to conclude so as well. The basic
core reason for me, like so many other things, is the human population is
too high for this planet to support. Their energy usage habits, resulting
of CO gases are just secondary effects. The basic problem remains
unaddressed. Depressing and sad as it may be, only a calamity can fix it.
Dave

.. .

Old 24-07-2007, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

There are too many obstacles for effective population birth limits. A few
religions outlaw birth control. Some couples have more babies than usual if
in poverty. Some women intentionally get pregnant to "fix" a broken
marriage. Teen sex and subsequent children follow. Older couples are
having babies now, intended or unintended. Last, but probably most of all,
the economic system of this country depends on more of everything for
continued growth. This means more babies.

Me? I just piddle in the garden, pondering it all. Shaking my head, I go
back to gardening.
Dave

wrote:

Yep, that's where we're at. That dry line may move or disappear if it
keeps
raining...

I've seen plenty of evidence to support that we're in the middle of a
climate change. Including the Al Gore film concerning global warming.

My opinion is there is enough evidence to conclude so as well. The basic
core reason for me, like so many other things, is the human population is
too high for this planet to support. Their energy usage habits, resulting
of CO gases are just secondary effects. The basic problem remains
unaddressed. Depressing and sad as it may be, only a calamity can fix it.
Dave

. ..

wrote:

[...]

m...

Old 24-07-2007, 07:02 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article et,
"Dave" wrote:

There are too many obstacles for effective population birth limits. A few
religions outlaw birth control. Some couples have more babies than usual if
in poverty. Some women intentionally get pregnant to "fix" a broken
marriage. Teen sex and subsequent children follow. Older couples are
having babies now, intended or unintended. Last, but probably most of all,
the economic system of this country depends on more of everything for
continued growth. This means more babies.

Me? I just piddle in the garden, pondering it all. Shaking my head, I go
back to gardening.
Dave

Dave, Dave, Dave,
the Bhagavad Gita is a Sanskrit text from the Bhishma Parva of the
Mahabharata epic.
The content of the text is a conversation between Krishna and Arjuna
taking place on the battlefield of Kurukshetra just prior to the start
of a climactic war. Responding to Arjuna's confusion and moral dilemma,
Krishna explains to Arjuna his duties as a warrior and Prince.
Part of your responsibilities is taking care of you garden. You can't
heal the world but you can affect what is in front of you. It's all we
can do.

**** Bush