Old 19-07-2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Him Him is offline

Default Zucks and peppers preserve?

How can I freeze my abundant zucks and peppers?

Old 19-07-2007, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Him wrote:
How can I freeze my abundant zucks and peppers?

are you talking about Zukes? i just slice and freeze. for peppers,just
wash and freeze. for bell peppers, we freeze some whole for stuffed
peppers later or chop some up for use in stir-fry, etc. hot peppers
don't do to well freezing. when they thaw, they are all mushy (for lack
of a better description)

rae
Old 19-07-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Him Him is offline

Thanks ... how about hot bannanna peppers?

How about vacuum sealing first? ... I heard that lack of air could be a
problem.

Old 19-07-2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Him wrote:
How can I freeze my abundant zucks and peppers?

are you talking about Zukes? i just slice and freeze. for peppers,just
wash and freeze. for bell peppers, we freeze some whole for stuffed
peppers later or chop some up for use in stir-fry, etc. hot peppers
don't do to well freezing. when they thaw, they are all mushy (for lack
of a better description)

rae

I don't know Rachael, I freeze my habaneros, and those little Thai ones
on occasion. They are so little, and they are inconsequential to the
texture of whatever I add them to but they still give heat.
Ja-lap-pin-nos I would roast and peel first. Same with red bell peppers.
Do you really find that they are too mushy that way or are they just not
crunchy? I haven't tried freezing the jalapenos or bells yet because
our freeze is on the small side.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 19-07-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Him wrote:
How can I freeze my abundant zucks and peppers?

are you talking about Zukes? i just slice and freeze. for peppers,just
wash and freeze. for bell peppers, we freeze some whole for stuffed
peppers later or chop some up for use in stir-fry, etc. hot peppers
don't do to well freezing. when they thaw, they are all mushy (for lack
of a better description)

rae

I don't know Rachael, I freeze my habaneros, and those little Thai ones
on occasion. They are so little, and they are inconsequential to the
texture of whatever I add them to but they still give heat.
Ja-lap-pin-nos I would roast and peel first. Same with red bell peppers.
Do you really find that they are too mushy that way or are they just not
crunchy? I haven't tried freezing the jalapenos or bells yet because
our freeze is on the small side.

Well, my cayenne turned out mushy when I froze them before. They aren't
complete mush, just definitely not crunchy. The frozen cayenne don't
slice to well for me after thawing. My aunt says she takes the seeds out
before she freezes her cayenne and that she doesn't have the mushy
problem then. I don't know, haven't tried it yet this year. I've either
ate all the hot peppers or made hot pepper vinegar out of them.

I haven't froze jalapenos before.

Don't have a problem with freezing the bell. I only freeze the green
bell peppers whole. Slice all the red ones. They are good for cooking in
spagetti sauce, fajitas, omelets, etc.

Oh well, it was just my opinion anyways........
rae

Old 19-07-2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Him wrote:
[...]

And a respected one:-)
Old 19-07-2007, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Him wrote:
How can I freeze my abundant zucks and peppers?

*snip*

Oh well, it was just my opinion anyways........
rae

And a respected one:-)

lol, i was beginning to wonder....

forgot to mention, in freezing the bell peppers, i haven't noticed any
difference between the ones that were frozen completely whole and the
ones that were cored out before freezing.
Old 19-07-2007, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Him wrote:
How can I freeze my abundant zucks and peppers?

*snip*

Oh well, it was just my opinion anyways........
rae

And a respected one:-)

lol, i was beginning to wonder....

forgot to mention, in freezing the bell peppers, i haven't noticed any
difference between the ones that were frozen completely whole and the
ones that were cored out before freezing.

Is the texture of the frozen green bells anything like that of a roasted
red bell? Mushier, same, less mushy? Not that any of our bell have a
chance of escaping. We only have two bells and their peppers are headed
for the barbie. Real food is so damn good.
Old 19-07-2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Him wrote:
How can I freeze my abundant zucks and peppers?

*snip*

Oh well, it was just my opinion anyways........
rae
And a respected one:-)

lol, i was beginning to wonder....

forgot to mention, in freezing the bell peppers, i haven't noticed any
difference between the ones that were frozen completely whole and the
ones that were cored out before freezing.

Is the texture of the frozen green bells anything like that of a roasted
red bell? Mushier, same, less mushy? Not that any of our bell have a
chance of escaping. We only have two bells and their peppers are headed
for the barbie. Real food is so damn good.

to me it's about the same as before it was frozen. now mind you, i
don't eat them raw after thawing, i always cook them then. after
stuffing, and roasting, i can't tell a difference. my step-dad buys the
bell peppers buy the bushel from whatever farmer's market or stand he's
near while on the road so mom can freeze them to use for stuffed peppers.

yeah, fresh, real food is good to us too, but preserving to use during
off-season makes *cents*..........

time to get to fixing supper................anyone want to help shell
peas afterwards?? lol

Rae
Old 20-07-2007, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 19, 8:30 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:59:30 -0400, rachael simpson

wrote:
time to get to fixing supper................anyone want to help shell
peas afterwards?? lol

Rae

You betcha, I *like* shelling peas. heh heh

Uhhhh.......do you require all of them make it to table?

Pease
Charlie

haha, just spotted this post too.....

what didn't get blanched and frozen today, will be making their way to
the table tonight! on the menu: pork chop casserole, peas & snaps,
peaches, & cukes in vinegar.......might fry up some corn bread and
fatback.

Old 20-07-2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

forgot to mention, when you have left-over or extra raw onion, you can
freeze that too............

How do I preserve tomatoes. Peter Jason Plant Science 2 17-10-2007 01:36 PM
Shallot Preserve John Edible Gardening 3 20-08-2006 01:27 PM
best way to preserve seed beans? ncstockguy Gardening 1 19-06-2006 03:42 AM
Nature puts on a different show for every visit to Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve in Bucks County Aozotorp Plant Science 0 06-04-2004 09:37 PM