Old 15-08-2007, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default While Rome burns ethanol....

Let 'em eat powdered cellulose...

Prices for key foods are rising sharply
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/18902.html

"Meeting with economic writers last week, President Bush dismissed
several polls that show Americans are down on the economy. He expressed
surprise that inflation is one of the stated concerns.

“They cite inflation?” Bush asked, adding that, “I happen to believe the war
has clouded a lot of people's sense of optimism.”

But the inflation numbers reveal the extent to which lower- and
middle-income Americans are being pinched.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics said in its June inflation report that egg
prices are 19.5 percent higher than they were in June 2006. Over the same
period, according to the department’s consumer price index, whole milk was
up 13.3 percent; fresh chicken 10 percent; navel oranges 19.8 percent;
apples 11.7 percent. Dried beans were up 11.5 percent, and white bread just
missed double-digit growth, rising by 9.6 percent.

These numbers get lost in the broader inflation rate for all goods and
services, which measured 2.7 for the same 12-month period. Across the
economy, rising food prices were offset by falling prices for things bought
at the mall: computers, cameras, clothing and shoes."

Anyone got a recipe for boiled shoe soup?

Old 15-08-2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

cat daddy wrote:
[...]

sarcastic on

1 stock pot of boiling water,
1 pair of well-worn shoes(the more worn, the more tender)
mud or manure & gummit lies for flavoring
Several shoe strings

Pound shoes with mallet to make tender, cut shoes, strings, & lies into
bite size pieces. Add to pot with the mud &/or manure.

You know you can chew awhile on the gummit lies along with the
rubber....should be *very* filling..........

Enjoy!

sarcastic off
Old 15-08-2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

[...]

How about a Cuban?

1 loaf French bread
Mayonnaise
Dijon mustard
1/4 pound thinly sliced ham
3/4 Pound old shoe preferably stinky
4 slices Swiss cheese
Kosher dill pickles, sliced
Butter, for grilling
*

Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Spread one half with mayonnaise and
the other with mustard. Layer the ham and Swiss cheese on 1 half of the
bread. Layer the pickle slices over the cheese. Top with the other bread
half. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat enough butter to
coat the cooking surface. Place the sandwich in the pan and weight with
another heavy pan or a brick wrapped in foil and grill until the cheese
is melted. Cut the loaf to make 4 sandwiches.

You may want to hold the stinky shoe especially if made in China.

Bill whose Dad love's these.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 15-08-2007, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
cat daddy wrote:
[...]

Why, thank you, m'dear...... Sounds yummy and delicious. And,
nourishing. I've heard "shoe au cowpuckey" is considered a delicacy
somewhere far off...

Later regarding his war, Bush was heard to speechify that it might be
just the hunger that's clouding some people's optimism for the war. "You
see, I are, uh, ur, Amurican and I ain't hungery, so I happen to don't
believe 'em."
Waving, Bush boarded Air Force One for his remaining 18 months of
vacation time.

Old 15-08-2007, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

cat daddy wrote:
[...]

Hmmm.. Shame on everyone for those horrible recipes. Not a single recipe
that has a dash of salt. Salt makes everything taste better and that
should include leather!

Enjoy Life ..... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Old 15-08-2007, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

[...]

The less adventurous may want to serve the shoe on the side (of the
street;-)
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 15-08-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

cat daddy wrote:
[...]

Now hold on there buddy-buddy. The basic recipe is a BIG pinch of salt,
a hand full of sugar, a mouth full of trans-fats, and a mouth full of
catsup. Everything else is garnish. Cooking is optional.

Old 15-08-2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default for Bill W./ While Rome burns ethanol...

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for posting this, Bill. You just saved me! I've been trying to
come up with something to take to the church social tonight, but my mind
had been blank as a door nail. In all honesty, today's been a bad day
with the kids, and I didn't want to heat the house up too much by
cooking. This made my grocery bill a bit cheaper too, as all I had to
pick up was the bread! (& some sugar for tea!) Don't worry y'all. I'm
making more than one loaf........

Thanks again!
Rae
Old 15-08-2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

Let 'em eat powdered cellulose...

Prices for key foods are rising sharply
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/18902.html

"Meeting with economic writers last week, President Bush dismissed
several polls that show Americans are down on the economy. He expressed
surprise that inflation is one of the stated concerns.

³They cite inflation?² Bush asked, adding that, ³I happen to believe the
war
has clouded a lot of people's sense of optimism.²

But the inflation numbers reveal the extent to which lower- and
middle-income Americans are being pinched.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics said in its June inflation report that egg
prices are 19.5 percent higher than they were in June 2006. Over the same
period, according to the department¹s consumer price index, whole milk was
[...]

We use bread and butter pickles or what is about. If you want to get
fancy use different kinds of ham. More than one kind combined is cool.
George Foreman Grill works here.

Hope your evening is wonderful!

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 15-08-2007, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

William Wagner wrote:

[...]

I've got plenty of dill & bread-n-butter on hand. Pickles is something
we never run out of here.

If you want to get
fancy use different kinds of ham. More than one kind combined is cool.

i was thinking of using ham & turkey (some sandwiches of each & some
together)

George Foreman Grill works here.

Great minds think alike on that one....lol

Hope your evening is wonderful!

Your's too. Now, I'm outta here...

Bill

Rae

Old 16-08-2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"cat daddy" wrote in message
[...]

Way I look at it there's many things going on that are causing rapid price
increases of staple foods.
1. Ethanol production raising the price of corn.
2. Increased gasoline prices, where transportation costs were delayed in
many cases till as of late.
3. Labor involved may have involved minimum wage laborers, this price
offset was delayed slightly until as of late. The minimum wage went up.
This may occur anywhere in the food production, transportation, storage, and
retail levels.
4. Hidden in the price costs, were injected increased prices that may equal
the same or more profit percentile level as before all this.

Yep, Bush is in denial. Again...
Dave

Old 16-08-2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Dave" wrote in message
"cat daddy" wrote in message
Let 'em eat powdered cellulose...

Prices for key foods are rising sharply
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/18902.html

"Meeting with economic writers last week, President Bush dismissed
several polls that show Americans are down on the economy. He expressed
surprise that inflation is one of the stated concerns.

"They cite inflation?" Bush asked, adding that, "I happen to believe the
war
has clouded a lot of people's sense of optimism."

The Bureau of Labor Statistics said in its June inflation report that

egg
prices are 19.5 percent higher than they were in June 2006. , whole milk

[...]

Yeah, Bush don't shop. A gallon of milk's up about a $1.50 over the last
month here, which makes it about 1.5 times more expensive than gasoline. How
does that happen?

I think it was Guiliani who was asked about the price of milk and bread
back in the Spring and he was living in 70's....
Yep, here it is:

http://weblogs.chicagotribune.com/ne...ilk_bread.html

, April 11, 2007 »

Giuliani's price-test: Milk, bread?

MONTGOMERY, Ala. – It looks like it’s been a while since Rudolph Giuliani
picked up a few things at the store on his way home from work.

Like a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread, for instance. Giuliani was asked
by a reporter here if he could name the price for those household staples,
and his guesses were off the mark.

“A gallon of milk is probably about a $1.50, a loaf of bread about a $1.25,
$1.30, last time I bought one,” he said.

A check of the Web-site for D’Agostino supermarket on Manhattan’s Upper East
Side – where Giuliani lives -- showed a gallon of milk priced at $4.19 and a
loaf of white bread at $2.99 to $3.39.

The Waldbaum’s website listed milk for $3.38 on Long Island and bread from
$1.39 to $3.49.

Giuliani got a little closer on the price of a gallon of gas, $2.89.

Old 17-08-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

"cat daddy" expounded:

Yeah, Bush don't shop. A gallon of milk's up about a $1.50 over the last
month here, which makes it about 1.5 times more expensive than gasoline.

Sorry for the side-track, but you've struck something that's been
bugging me. Could you please explain why Oakhurst Dairy milk is a
full dollar higher in Mass than it is in NH? No one else has an
explanation, other than that we're supposedly flush with money down
here in MA and they're poorer in NH. I guess eye roll
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 17-08-2007, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

"cat daddy" wrote in message
[...]

I am not sure the inflation was "offset" by falling prices on other
items. I believe the GOV just simply did not include food and fuel for
the inflation mix. They "the GOV" likes the numbers to just look good.

Just for the same reason the GOV no longer uses the term GNP. The GOV
now uses the term GDP. GDP numbers just looks so much better than GNP.
Gross National Product was for U.S. companies only. Gross Domestic
Product is for American and Foreign companies in the U.S..

Unemployment rate use to be the number of people that were unemployed
and looking for a job. Now they use telephone surveys for those looking
for a job and those receiving unemployment benefits. The latter numbers
look so much better than the first. Also minus the farm job employment.

I for one no longer trust any number that comes from the GOV.

I just use simple definition from my Cynic's Dictionary:
A Recession is when your neighbor is unemployed.
A Depression is when you are unemployed.

Enjoy Life ..... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 17-08-2007, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Ann" wrote in message
"cat daddy" expounded:

Yeah, Bush don't shop. A gallon of milk's up about a $1.50 over the

last
month here, which makes it about 1.5 times more expensive than gasoline.

Sorry for the side-track, but you've struck something that's been
bugging me. Could you please explain why Oakhurst Dairy milk is a
full dollar higher in Mass than it is in NH? No one else has an
explanation, other than that we're supposedly flush with money down
here in MA and they're poorer in NH. I guess eye roll

I read a bunch of stuff, and although nothing definitive, it's probably
due to dairy price supports, both on the federal and state level. New
Hampshire farmers tend to eschew the federal price supports, so there's some
other manipulation at work there. Maybe they're not too proud to take state
subsidies which keep the cost down.
It may just be they set the prices for what the market will bear, so
yeah, you rich Mass. people get to pay more for Maine milk.
Most of the news about Oakhurst Dairy was Monsanto suing them for
labeling their milk as "hormone free" and damaging Monsanto's chemical
business and reputation. Jeebus, it never ends....