Old 17-08-2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default While Rome burns ethanol....

"Ann" wrote in message
"cat daddy" expounded:

Yeah, Bush don't shop. A gallon of milk's up about a $1.50 over the

last
month here, which makes it about 1.5 times more expensive than gasoline.

Sorry for the side-track, but you've struck something that's been
bugging me. Could you please explain why Oakhurst Dairy milk is a
full dollar higher in Mass than it is in NH? No one else has an
explanation, other than that we're supposedly flush with money down
here in MA and they're poorer in NH. I guess eye roll

I should have stopped reading after I sent the first reply.

"Study of Milk Market Channel Pricing and Related Documents"

"Toward Reform of Fluid Milk Pricing in Southern New England: Analysis of
Proposed State Level Milk Regulation Policies in CT and MA"
http://www.fmpc.uconn.edu/research/milk/
[View the Action Summary Sheet for Massachusetts pdf]

"The report that this sheet summarizes analyzes a proposed fee that will
be collected on fluid milk sold by retailers and the proposed subsidy
program that will establish a green price for dairy farmers."

Northeast Interstate Dairy Compact,
http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statute...-24/2-24-1.HTM

N. H. Milk Producers Emergency Relief Fund
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legi...07/sb0235.html

Old 17-08-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

"cat daddy" expounded:

Most of the news about Oakhurst Dairy was Monsanto suing them for
labeling their milk as "hormone free" and damaging Monsanto's chemical
business and reputation. Jeebus, it never ends....

Yep, I know that, makes me want to drink it even more G
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 17-08-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Ann" wrote in message
"cat daddy" expounded:

Most of the news about Oakhurst Dairy was Monsanto suing them for
labeling their milk as "hormone free" and damaging Monsanto's chemical
business and reputation. Jeebus, it never ends....

Yep, I know that, makes me want to drink it even more G

We have Oak Farms milk around here. They recently went hormone free and
have exactly the same label. Thanks Oakhurst for leading the way!

Old 17-08-2007, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Dave" wrote in message
"cat daddy" wrote in message
Let 'em eat powdered cellulose...

Prices for key foods are rising sharply
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/18902.html

"Meeting with economic writers last week, President Bush dismissed
several polls that show Americans are down on the economy. He expressed
surprise that inflation is one of the stated concerns.

"They cite inflation?" Bush asked, adding that, "I happen to believe the
war
has clouded a lot of people's sense of optimism."

But the inflation numbers reveal the extent to which lower- and
middle-income Americans are being pinched.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics said in its June inflation report that egg
prices are 19.5 percent higher than they were in June 2006. Over the same
period, according to the department's consumer price index, whole milk
was
up 13.3 percent; fresh chicken 10 percent; navel oranges 19.8 percent;
apples 11.7 percent. Dried beans were up 11.5 percent, and white bread
just
missed double-digit growth, rising by 9.6 percent.

These numbers get lost in the broader inflation rate for all goods and
services, which measured 2.7 for the same 12-month period. Across the
economy, rising food prices were offset by falling prices for things
bought
at the mall: computers, cameras, clothing and shoes."

Anyone got a recipe for boiled shoe soup?

Way I look at it there's many things going on that are causing rapid price
increases of staple foods.
1. Ethanol production raising the price of corn.
2. Increased gasoline prices, where transportation costs were delayed in
many cases till as of late.
3. Labor involved may have involved minimum wage laborers, this price
offset was delayed slightly until as of late. The minimum wage went up.
This may occur anywhere in the food production, transportation, storage,
and retail levels.
4. Hidden in the price costs, were injected increased prices that may
equal the same or more profit percentile level as before all this.

Yep, Bush is in denial. Again...
Dave

Addendum to 3: Some businesses have wage scale based on worker length of
service. This scale may be adjusted to allow an equal increment of pay due
to the higher minimum wage. Minimum wage would probably be beginning pay on
that scale. In this scenario, everyone get's a pay raise.

Some businesses may be having trouble maintaining that scale. The people
toward the bottom of the scale, but not a beginning position, may be
receiving the same pay as the beginner counterparts in years to come.
There's 2 more minimum wage increases to come yet. In effect, the
personnel in the crunch for his junior's pay raise. This is where it get's
interesting. But, not really a surprise. Happened the long ago previous
minimum wage law change.
Dave

Old 17-08-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Dave" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
"cat daddy" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, minimum wage is killing the record oil company profits resulting in
increased transportation costs. Likewise, ADM can barely get by with it's
own record annual results and 303rd consecutive cash dividends to its
investors.

Monsanto? "Monsanto reported record net sales of $2.8 billion for the
third quarter of fiscal year 2007, which were 23 percent higher than sales
in the same period in fiscal year 2006."

Yep, minimum wage must be killing them and dragging down the economy.

Monsanto homepage
http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/layout/default.asp
" A food staple for much of the world, the biggest use of corn in the US
is to feed livestock."

"They hate our freedoms." - G. W. Bush

Old 20-08-2007, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Ann" wrote in message
"cat daddy" expounded:

Most of the news about Oakhurst Dairy was Monsanto suing them for
labeling their milk as "hormone free" and damaging Monsanto's chemical
business and reputation. Jeebus, it never ends....

Yep, I know that, makes me want to drink it even more G

We have Oak Farms milk around here. They recently went hormone free and
have exactly the same label. Thanks Oakhurst for leading the way!

The problem you have, milk production hormones are given to the cattle.
These cause the animal to bleed into the milk, amongst other problems. In
Canada the hormone is illegal for diary cows. There's nothing the big
conglomerates want more than to crush our local dairy industry.

Old 20-08-2007, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

"Leon Trollski" expounded:

The problem you have, milk production hormones are given to the cattle.
These cause the animal to bleed into the milk, amongst other problems. In
Canada the hormone is illegal for diary cows. There's nothing the big
conglomerates want more than to crush our local dairy industry.

No, that isn't the problem with Oakhurst Dairy milk, that's why I buy
it. Many of us are avoiding milk produced by hormone methods. No, it
isn't illegal here in the US, but it's becoming less profitable for
them to try to sell us milk that's been produced that way.