Old 16-08-2007, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Wahhh!!! The garden's gone!

Between the heat (heat index has been anywhere from 102-125 the last
couple of weeks) and the lack of rain, the veggie garden is gone -
despite all my sprinkler system watering every day (early morning &
again late evening)

The only thing still hanging around are the crowder peas. But they are
going downhill fast.

The various tomatoes & peppers are planted in my flower bed among the
roses, glads, hostas, & lilies. Thankfully, all of those are thriving!
for now anyways.....

Put up some stewed tomatoes in the freezer the day before yesterday.
Surprisingly, I had 23 all ripen at the same time, and what's even more
surprising is that they escaped my frying pan!
Old 16-08-2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Between the heat (heat index has been anywhere from 102-125 the last
couple of weeks) and the lack of rain, the veggie garden is gone -
despite all my sprinkler system watering every day (early morning &
again late evening)

The only thing still hanging around are the crowder peas. But they are
going downhill fast.

The various tomatoes & peppers are planted in my flower bed among the
roses, glads, hostas, & lilies. Thankfully, all of those are thriving!
for now anyways.....

Put up some stewed tomatoes in the freezer the day before yesterday.
Surprisingly, I had 23 all ripen at the same time, and what's even more
surprising is that they escaped my frying pan!

Next year, try some shade cloth.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Between the heat (heat index has been anywhere from 102-125 the last
couple of weeks) and the lack of rain, the veggie garden is gone -
despite all my sprinkler system watering every day (early morning &
again late evening)

The only thing still hanging around are the crowder peas. But they are
going downhill fast.

The various tomatoes & peppers are planted in my flower bed among the
roses, glads, hostas, & lilies. Thankfully, all of those are thriving!
for now anyways.....

Put up some stewed tomatoes in the freezer the day before yesterday.
Surprisingly, I had 23 all ripen at the same time, and what's even more
surprising is that they escaped my frying pan!

Next year, try some shade cloth.

Yeah, well, that's next year. I didn't expect such unusual weather this
year! While the heat is somewhat normal, the lack of rain isn't...
Old 16-08-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

[...]

Don't think you don't have my empathy... :-)

Been there, done that. I try to use strategically placed trees to save
money.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

[...]

Ps, I think WE got all your rain!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 16-08-2007, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Omelet wrote:

*snip*
Next year, try some shade cloth.
Yeah, well, that's next year. I didn't expect such unusual weather this
year! While the heat is somewhat normal, the lack of rain isn't...

Don't think you don't have my empathy... :-)

Been there, done that. I try to use strategically placed trees to save
money.

I'm answering two posts in one here...

These trees (pine) were here we got here. We are pretty much surrounded
by trees on all sides but the back. The back is the pasture. The main
veggie patch is in a "cove" like curve along & into the tree line. It
was only subjected to the morning sun. The trees shaded out the
afternoon sun. I had two other "patches" elsewhere in the yard, mostly
all sun.

Ps, I think WE got all your rain!

Yeah, I don't doubt that.

Looks like all the "good" rain is headed to the gulf. The locals (myself
included) would have loved the rain from TS Erin. Estimated to drop 30
inches...really would have loved that. Now it looks like Dean's gonna go
that way. Hopefully, Dean won't turn into another Katrina episode.

Now, don't get me wrong, I just want the rain, not the damage from high
winds, etc. Although the storms would make some nice pics too! LOL
Old 17-08-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Between the heat (heat index has been anywhere from 102-125 the last
couple of weeks) and the lack of rain, the veggie garden is gone -
despite all my sprinkler system watering every day (early morning &
again late evening)

The only thing still hanging around are the crowder peas. But they are
going downhill fast.

The various tomatoes & peppers are planted in my flower bed among the
roses, glads, hostas, & lilies. Thankfully, all of those are thriving!
for now anyways.....

Put up some stewed tomatoes in the freezer the day before yesterday.
Surprisingly, I had 23 all ripen at the same time, and what's even more
surprising is that they escaped my frying pan!

Next year, try some shade cloth.

I left weeds growing around my snow peas and not around the garden peas.
The snow peas are doing great; the garden peas are having a hard time of
it. The weeds (tall grasses) are shading the tender little feet on the
snow peas.

Hey Rae, tell me how to put stewed 'maters up in the freezer!

Jan
Old 17-08-2007, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Jan / Wahhh!!! The garden's gone!

Jan Flora wrote:
*snip*
Hey Rae, tell me how to put stewed 'maters up in the freezer!

Jan

It's really easy... If you can them, then freezing is very similar, just
put in a bag instead of a jar.

Stew them down with whatever seasonings you like, or plain. Cool and
pour into freezer containers or bags. Ours get used pretty quickly, but
they should keep at least 6 months without freezer burning. Can also
prepare to freezer the same way as peas, blanch a few minutes & go for
it. When I add seasonings, then I let them stew down awhile. If I don't
add seasonings, then I just blanch & freeze. They are still good
either way.
Old 17-08-2007, 04:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
Between the heat (heat index has been anywhere from 102-125 the last
couple of weeks) and the lack of rain, the veggie garden is gone - despite
all my sprinkler system watering every day (early morning & again late
evening)

Ours is also gone due to severe drought conditions and heat in the low 100s
for 3 weeks. The only things left are a few peppers we had in large pots.
We kept them well watered. Everything else is beyond help. Our trees and
shrubs are also dying. They're turning yellow and dropping their leaves.
I've never seen anything like this before.

The only thing still hanging around are the crowder peas. But they are
going downhill fast.

The various tomatoes & peppers are planted in my flower bed among the
roses, glads, hostas, & lilies. Thankfully, all of those are thriving! for
now anyways.....

Mine are already gone. We have too many things to water. Now there is
talk about restricting water use.

Put up some stewed tomatoes in the freezer the day before yesterday.
Surprisingly, I had 23 all ripen at the same time, and what's even more
surprising is that they escaped my frying pan!

I got only 10 qts this summer.

Old 17-08-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Been there, done that. I try to use strategically placed trees to save
money.

I'm answering two posts in one here...

These trees (pine) were here we got here. We are pretty much surrounded
by trees on all sides but the back. The back is the pasture. The main
veggie patch is in a "cove" like curve along & into the tree line. It
was only subjected to the morning sun. The trees shaded out the
afternoon sun. I had two other "patches" elsewhere in the yard, mostly
all sun.

It can get tricky, planting stuff so it gets enough sun, but not too
much. Dad used to make the mistake of planting tomatoes in too much
shade, then wondering why they did not do well. G

Ps, I think WE got all your rain!

Yeah, I don't doubt that.

Looks like all the "good" rain is headed to the gulf. The locals (myself
included) would have loved the rain from TS Erin. Estimated to drop 30
inches...really would have loved that. Now it looks like Dean's gonna go
that way. Hopefully, Dean won't turn into another Katrina episode.

Now, don't get me wrong, I just want the rain, not the damage from high
winds, etc. Although the storms would make some nice pics too! LOL

Understood! At least it's not generating a LOT of tornadoes. I've only
heard of one so far. We had one here back in March or so (iirc) but they
don't get much past just West of IH-35. It was still less than 5 miles
from my house and I only missed driving into it's touchdown by about 5
minutes on the freeway.

Too close.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 17-08-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
Between the heat (heat index has been anywhere from 102-125 the last
couple of weeks) and the lack of rain, the veggie garden is gone - despite
all my sprinkler system watering every day (early morning & again late
evening)

The only thing still hanging around are the crowder peas. But they are
going downhill fast.

The various tomatoes & peppers are planted in my flower bed among the
roses, glads, hostas, & lilies. Thankfully, all of those are thriving! for
now anyways.....

Put up some stewed tomatoes in the freezer the day before yesterday.
Surprisingly, I had 23 all ripen at the same time, and what's even more
surprising is that they escaped my frying pan!

Similar happened last year at my location, central texas. Similar
temperatures and lack of humidity in the air. Only thing that made it to
middle of summer were the maters.

Due to all the rain here, having problems with mold and fungus. Extremely
unusual in these parts, specially in summer.
Dave

Old 18-08-2007, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:
*snip*
Hey Rae, tell me how to put stewed 'maters up in the freezer!

Jan

It's really easy... If you can them, then freezing is very similar, just
put in a bag instead of a jar.

Stew them down with whatever seasonings you like, or plain. Cool and
pour into freezer containers or bags. Ours get used pretty quickly, but
they should keep at least 6 months without freezer burning. Can also
prepare to freezer the same way as peas, blanch a few minutes & go for
it. When I add seasonings, then I let them stew down awhile. If I don't
add seasonings, then I just blanch & freeze. They are still good
either way.

Thanks, kiddo!!

Jan
Old 19-08-2007, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:
*snip*
Hey Rae, tell me how to put stewed 'maters up in the freezer!

Jan

It's really easy... If you can them, then freezing is very similar, just
put in a bag instead of a jar.

Stew them down with whatever seasonings you like, or plain. Cool and
pour into freezer containers or bags. Ours get used pretty quickly, but
they should keep at least 6 months without freezer burning. Can also
prepare to freezer the same way as peas, blanch a few minutes & go for
it. When I add seasonings, then I let them stew down awhile. If I don't
add seasonings, then I just blanch & freeze. They are still good
either way.

Thanks, kiddo!!

Jan

No problem. Anytime!