Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-08-2007, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Apple rootstock propagation

Hello All,

I'd like to try growing apple trees on my property in southcentral
Ontario. Conditions are somewhat far from ideal with very shallow
topsoil, moderate to poor drainage, and the shorter Canadian growing
season. Thankfully there are a surprising variety of apple trees
growing in close proximity (but not close enough to harvest) that I
guess would best be described as "escaped" because while none of them
are crabapples and all produce edible fruit none have been tended--or
are even close to each other--in decades if not longer.

I understand that planting seeds will almost guarantee that the new
tree produces different apples from the parent--I'm willing to try
grafting--but will the rootstock be the same? One of the trees that
I'd like to emulate is of an appropriate size, produces a large crop
but has partially blown down and is sending up suckers from the
exposed part of the stump (while the rest still supports the seemingly
vital, but horizontal tree), can these be cut and planted? Are branch
cuttings a better option? I know that the usual advice is to buy
rootstock, plant it and then graft on it but with my less than perfect
conditions I'd rather make use of the genetic material that is
obviously thriving nearby instead of spending years finding the right
commercial rootstock.

My interest is definitely recreational in nature and I'd be quite
happy with a small crop of cider apples or borderline eaters and I'm
in no hurry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.