Old 26-11-2008, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default HELP PLEASE - Apple Rootstock Origin

Wonder if someone can help please.

I understand the different qualities of apple rootstock i.e. M26, M106
etc, but what is rootstock actually grown from, cant seem to find
anything on the internet.

Many Thanks

Gary
Old 26-11-2008, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Gary writes
Wonder if someone can help please.

I understand the different qualities of apple rootstock i.e. M26, M106
etc, but what is rootstock actually grown from, cant seem to find
anything on the internet.

The rootstock is itself an apple species or variety.

See, for example,
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/apple40.html
--
Kay
Old 26-11-2008, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Nov, 12:32, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article e0701f0d-dc68-49d6-9e2d-
,
says... Wonder if someone can help please.

I understand the different qualities of apple rootstock i.e. M26, M106
etc, but what is rootstock actually grown from, cant seem to find
anything on the internet.

Many Thanks

Gary

Seedling apples are selected, trialed and if they display the desired
characteristics are given a clone number and there after propagated by
hard wood cuttings stooling or these days possibly microproped. They are
not necessarily domestic apples but could be any Malus, ie crab apple
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Many Thanks ALL for your help, much appreciated

Regards

Gary
Old 30-11-2008, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary" wrote in message
Wonder if someone can help please.

I understand the different qualities of apple rootstock i.e. M26, M106
etc, but what is rootstock actually grown from, cant seem to find
anything on the internet.

Many Thanks

Gary

I had a similar question go through my mind a couple days ago. I wondered,
to get a dwarf tree for rootstock, if I could plant a seed from a (grafted)
dwarf apple tree & grow one?

Then again, if the graft was from a larger growing specimen, would that
render the new tree the same size as the original (grafted on scion wood) or
the original rootstock?

rob

Old 30-11-2008, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 30, 12:08*pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article , says...

"Gary" wrote in message
Wonder if someone can help please.

I understand the different qualities of apple rootstock i.e. M26, M106
etc, but what is rootstock actually grown from, cant seem to find
anything on the internet.

Many Thanks

Gary

I had a similar question go through my mind a couple days ago. I wondered,
to get a dwarf tree for rootstock, if I could plant a seed from a (grafted)
dwarf apple tree & grow one?

Then again, if the graft was from a larger growing specimen, would that
render the new tree the same size as the original (grafted on scion wood) or
the original rootstock?

rob

Getting dwarf stock is a matter of years of careful cross breeding and
selection, you may of course get lucky but the odds are against.
If you see a fruit tree that is a seedling (not grafted) and it is small
(not because of age) then you can do hard wood cuttings but apple and
pear stock is not that expensive!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

And if memory serves, there was an article in the RHS about frruit
trees fairly recently and again, if I recall correctly, chanomeles
were given as the rootstock for sommat or 'tudder. Pears I think.