Old 09-09-2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What do groundhogs not like?

A groundhog has moved into my garden. I've named him Brinckerhoff because
he constructed a large tunnel under the fence.

The season is over so Brinckerhoff can eat what he likes now but I'd like
some ideas about what to plant next year. What do groundhogs not like?
I'm pretty sure that he's eating my cucumbers and I suspect he is the
reason that my strawberry plants never produced and strawberries. I'm not
sure if he's eating tomatoes. I've gotten plenty of those but it might be
because I have so many tomatoes that there is enough from both him and me.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

22-250 between the eyes. Ruins there day.
"Steve" wrote in message
On 9 Sep 2007 16:34:51 GMT, Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
wrote:

What do groundhogs not like?

1. President Bush
2. Punxsutawney Phil and his holier than thou attitude
3. Being labeled a whistlepig
4. Being asked how much wood would a woodchuck chuck...etc
5. Noise, they really are frightened by rattle scarecrows
6. Sprinklers on a motion sensing trigger, got the deer to leave, too

The last two worked for us.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

A groundhog has moved into my garden. I've named him Brinckerhoff because
he constructed a large tunnel under the fence.

... What do groundhogs not like? ...

We've had groundhogs, rabbits, skunks, and squirrels. None has ever
touched our beans, eggplants, and basil. I think only the squirrels
have eaten tomatoes and corn. Somebody loves cabbage, kale, parsley,
and brocolli. I blame woodchucks, but I can't be sure.

We've had some luck with adding a second fence flat on the ground
outside the 'regular' fence, bending the wires together at the
juncture, and staking the outer edge to the ground. Only onc year has
anyone (a skunk, I think) tunnelled under that. That was a bad year.
After they'd 'tasted blood', it was Katy bar the door - it was as if the
rest of them learned how to get in. We couldn't keep them out, anyway.

But, this year, our only problem has been squirrels, even though I've
seen the woodchuck grazing on clover outside the fence, and some rabbits
around in the spring.

We've also trapped them - quite a few woodchucks, some skunks, fewer
squirrels. It gets old, and I don't know whether it's helped or not.
We still have rodents, for sure.

George
Old 18-09-2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

On Sep 9, 12:34 pm, Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
wrote:
A groundhog has moved into my garden. I've named him Brinckerhoff because
he constructed a large tunnel under the fence.

The season is over so Brinckerhoff can eat what he likes now but I'd like
some ideas about what to plant next year. What do groundhogs not like?
I'm pretty sure that he's eating my cucumbers and I suspect he is the
reason that my strawberry plants never produced and strawberries. I'm not
sure if he's eating tomatoes. I've gotten plenty of those but it might be
because I have so many tomatoes that there is enough from both him and me.

A wall of onions around the good stuff works for a lot of critters.

Groundhogs Mike Davis Gardening 48 15-03-2004 12:02 AM
have any groundhogs? glowworm Orchids 4 08-10-2003 12:42 PM
have groundhogs? glowworm Gardening 9 08-10-2003 04:18 AM
have groundhogs? glowworm Roses 0 05-10-2003 05:12 PM
Repelling of groundhogs Indictorfands Edible Gardening 13 22-08-2003 07:32 PM