Old 12-09-2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
JS JS is offline

Default Help on this trouble grass

I am really struggle how to "permanently" eliminate
this type of weed on my brick patio.
Using the weed killer called ROUNDUP
does not really work --- it only makes some of
the leaves turned yellow, and then the young ones come back in a day or so.

What is interesting is that I actually put some landscape fabric on
before we laid the bricks. It sounds like the grass pokes thru the fabric !

Please see the image on the link below:

http://tinypic.com/537zqsm.jpg

http://tinypic.com/6767nl1.jpg

Does anybody in this forum know a better way to solve
the problem?

Thanks in advance

JIMMY

Old 14-09-2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"JS" wrote in message
I am really struggle how to "permanently" eliminate
this type of weed on my brick patio.
Using the weed killer called ROUNDUP
does not really work --- it only makes some of
the leaves turned yellow, and then the young ones come back in a day or so.

What is interesting is that I actually put some landscape fabric on
before we laid the bricks. It sounds like the grass pokes thru the fabric !

Please see the image on the link below:

http://tinypic.com/537zqsm.jpg

http://tinypic.com/6767nl1.jpg

Does anybody in this forum know a better way to solve
the problem?

Thanks in advance

JIMMY

Roundup worked for me for about 2 months. Used 2 applications as the
Bermuda grass was being stubborn. Followed directions, including sunny warm
day criteria. Location: gravel driveway. 4" sub-base, and compressed.
Local weeds are beginning its takeover, Bermuda grass is still brown.

Dave

Old 15-09-2007, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Someone thought it might be a nut sedge. Here is a rhyme for you to be
sure.
Sedges have edges, rushes are round.
Nut sedges are sorta triangular and have edges. Pick a leaf and feel the
leaf to see if it has any edges. If it does you will see what I mean
right away.
You should try to pull up as much of a plant as you can and take it to
your local greenhouse or garden center and ask for help. Don't go to a
department store. They don't know what they are doing there!
A prety sugestion for you to do could be to pull out all you can then
plant creeping tyme.It does'nt mind being walked on and looks/smells
good. Also, if your patio is shaded you could grow moss in the cracks.
Collect some moss in the woods thats on rocks and break it apart into
little pieces. Get some whole milk and let it get real sour. Mix the
moss and sour milk in the milk jug and shake real good. I like to let it
set over night. In the morning pour the mixture in a pail and paint it
in the cracks being sure you get moss in the cracks. Some people say to
put the mix in the blender but I don't.
Once a month or so feed your moss sour whole milk till you see it
growing. It really looks nice once it gets growing.
The sour milk does smell.
Hope I helped.
Eddie

Old 28-10-2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:04:34 -0500, "JS" wrote:

I am really struggle how to "permanently" eliminate
this type of weed on my brick patio.
Using the weed killer called ROUNDUP
does not really work --- it only makes some of
the leaves turned yellow, and then the young ones come back in a day or so.

What is interesting is that I actually put some landscape fabric on
before we laid the bricks. It sounds like the grass pokes thru the fabric !

Please see the image on the link below:

http://tinypic.com/537zqsm.jpg

http://tinypic.com/6767nl1.jpg

Does anybody in this forum know a better way to solve
the problem?

Thanks in advance

JIMMY

Just noticed this message; goes back a way; you may
have solved your problem.

In case not, I suggest pouring boiling water on the weeds.
They'll turn yellow and die with a few days, and -- in my
experience -- will not come back.

Be carefully handling the H2O.

Persephone.
Old 29-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Registered User

Smile

hello m8 ive just joined and i am a profesional block paver by the look of the photo the joints havent been filled with kiln dried sand this realy needs to be added as it prevents any seeds etc. getting into the joints that act like a breeding ground . ithink i would sweep some sodium chlorite into the joints first then add the kiln died sand if possible run a compactor plate over the area before its swept off as this vibrates the sand into the joints if not just sweep it in but leave some on top a let the rain wash it down into the joints hope it helps.