Old 17-09-2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.gardens.edible

Default Layering Grape Vines

I let a section of my vineyard go for a couple of years and tried to
rehabilitate it this weekend. I found that a couple of vines had died but,
fortunately, neighboring vines had used my absence to grow several long
branches which reached to where the dead vines had been located.

I dug trenches about a foot long, with one end starting where the dead vine
had been. I then put the long branch from the neighbor vine into the trench,
with the end of the branch sticking up from the soil where the dead vine had
been.

I used a root propagating chemical to dress the portion of the vine which
was underground, then buried it. Hopefully, these treated vines will put out
roots underground. Next summer, I plan to cut the end of the long branch
going to the neighbor plant and have a new grapevine.

Any problems I should watch out for in this operation?

Paul

Old 17-09-2007, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 16, 9:11 pm, "Pavel314" wrote:
[...]

I've done cuttings after the leaves drop and just stick them in the
ground without hormone and had more than 50% success. Don't see why
you would have any problems unless something in the soil killed your
vines.

You might as well do some pruning and root them anyway.

Old 17-09-2007, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking

In article . com,
James wrote:

[...]

If this is a domestic grape, there should be no problem. If it is a
European grape, you will eventually have phylloxera problems.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 18-09-2007, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

1. Are you vines spur prunned. If not then why not just cordon train out
to fill, the gap.

2. If this is not an option then I would not cut the long branch from
the neighbour.

James.