Old 17-10-2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How were your tomatoes this year?

writes:
[snip]

The Stupice was the first to set fruit for me but other wise it wasn't
very productive. The Striped German did the best, and it was a good
producer last year as well.

We have similar experiences so I'm thinking at least part of my problem
has been our strange anti-tomato weather this year.

[snip]

Oh yeah, the bird house gourd is out of it's gourd, so to speak, and
requires constant attention or its' rampant growth will take over the
world.

When mine finally started growing, it took over its world. A month ago I
didn't think there would be much in the way of fruit on it, but there are
many, many with significantly large ones compared with how it looked for a
while. The granddaughters will be amazed at what is there now.

The luffa finally started blooming more than one blossom a week and has
many small (read "small") fruits on it. There won't be any sponges this
year, but now I know that they will grow and produce. I planted the two
plants in front of the chicken house and one of the vines starting twining
under the roof so part of one is inside, just left it there for now.

For both, this year has been encouraging since neither every made it past
6-8 inches high before. Even more encouraging is that these I started
from seeds whereas before I bought plants. Trouble is that I won't have
all that beautiful soil from under the chicken roost to plant them into
the second pots next spring; that was true gold. However, I suspect they
will do almost as well, especially if I plant them again in the chicken
yard. :-)

Either the luffa or the gourds will provide ample shade for the chicken
house!

Glenna

Old 18-10-2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article fc.003d09410231f2e23b9aca0042391186.231f30a@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:
[...]

I plan to start sowing green manure (plants to prepare the soil) in the
garden, just soon as the garden is mulched. I don't know if it will take
hold as the plants along the fence are in shadows already. A couple of
rows further away from the fence the peppers and tomatoes are still
getting sun on the upper third of the plants.

I probably mentioned it before but we only had one day that reached 100
F this year, last year we had thirteen.

The garden is finally producing more tomatoes, through the rains, than
we can eat.

Talk to you soon,
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley