Old 02-04-2006, 10:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default What were your Sunday Pond chores?

I'm about to go catch the 4 fantail goldfish out of the lily pond so the
lady frogs can have their nursery back. Already mowed the lawn for the
first time, youngest son helping get the flower beds cleaned up and such.
How about you? ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 03-04-2006, 11:55 PM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

~ janj wrote:
I'm about to go catch the 4 fantail goldfish out of the lily pond so the
lady frogs can have their nursery back. Already mowed the lawn for the
first time, youngest son helping get the flower beds cleaned up and such.
How about you? ~ jan

1. Cursed at the leaky barrel I thought I patched Saturday. First I
fixed a leaky spillway, fixed it and refilled. It still leaked. I let
it drain and found a hole in the liner at the waterline. (I managed to
snip a hole in it as I was trimming plants.) I patched that, refilled,
and it's still leaking. *grumble* I think I'm just going to reline the
dratted thing.
2. Dug up a volunteer taro from the garden and planted it as a marginal.
3. Raised the pickerel weed pot in the hopes that it will grow better
with the waterline right at the base of the plant rather than submerged.

I still have to repot the dwarf papyrus and grasses and siphon
accumulated debris from the second barrel.

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com
Old 04-04-2006, 12:00 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

~ janj wrote:
I'm about to go catch the 4 fantail goldfish out of the lily pond so the
lady frogs can have their nursery back. Already mowed the lawn for the
first time, youngest son helping get the flower beds cleaned up and such.
How about you? ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

right now I don't have a pond having filled in the old one a couple of
years ago down to bad location....this Sunday, I surveyed the garden
trying to pick a good place to put in a pond...it won't happen this
year...but the iris bog garden is getting a new lease of life and the
silly little waterfall feature is getting a makeover.....this sunday,
being the first of decent spring weather was for planning....the next
few sundays, however modest our plans are, are for action....

Gill
Old 04-04-2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

"~ janj" wrote in message
I'm about to go catch the 4 fantail goldfish out of the lily pond so the
lady frogs can have their nursery back. Already mowed the lawn for the
first time, youngest son helping get the flower beds cleaned up and such.
How about you? ~ jan

Ice Skating.

OK, not quite, it's been a very nice 'Spring' here so far. Probably still no
ponding for six weeks though.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:06 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

Well, no tSunday, but Monday.. we had a hellacious storm with hail, and a
deluge of water overnight. It overflowed the gutters, and water ran down
into the pond, filling it with mud, and mulch. When I got up, the pond was
mud colored, and literally covered with floating mulch. I scooped all the
mulch out with a net, but since it started raining again, I left the murky
water for another day.

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 04-04-2006, 03:26 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
right now I don't have a pond having filled in the old one a couple of
years ago down to bad location....this Sunday, I surveyed the garden
trying to pick a good place to put in a pond...it won't happen this
year...but the iris bog garden is getting a new lease of life and the
silly little waterfall feature is getting a makeover.....this sunday,
being the first of decent spring weather was for planning....the next few
sundays, however modest our plans are, are for action....

==================
This coming Sunday we have to drain down the 2000g pond to remove 8 young
koi and about 5 or 6 adults to sell. It's over it's limit on fish. I hate
to see some of the older ones go but it's for their own benefit.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 04-04-2006, 07:33 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 22:06:07 -0400, "Gareee©" wrote:
Well, no tSunday, but Monday.. we had a hellacious storm with hail, and a
deluge of water overnight. It overflowed the gutters, and water ran down
into the pond, filling it with mud, and mulch. When I got up, the pond was
mud colored, and literally covered with floating mulch. I scooped all the
mulch out with a net, but since it started raining again, I left the murky
water for another day.

Bummer Gary, sorry to hear that! ( Only pond work I got done today was
to add my 2nd dose of Koizyme. Rain, rain, and more rain. Luckily no
runoff. I didn't get the koizyme added till 11pm (when I remembered) walked
out and it was super foggy. I was not expecting that.

K30 & I did go and see the new fancy green house & gift store one of the
local nurseries put in, fancy! Take a look: www.beaverbark.com and click on
Phase II. It has a pond inside. Unfortunately some of the prices are out of
wack, imo. I did find my garden row cover, corsian mint & a plant called
Grecian Pattern Plant to try. They had the coolest life size gator. What a
statement that would make on someone door step, perhaps a sign that says no
solicitors? ;o) ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 04-04-2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

"~ janj" wrote in message

Bummer Gary, sorry to hear that! (

Yep, especially after doing a water change a week or so ago, and adding the
uv filter, and having clear water for 2 weeks!

K30 & I did go and see the new fancy green house & gift store one of the
local nurseries put in, fancy! Take a look: www.beaverbark.com

Their website seems to be down right now.. I'll check them out later. Thanks
for the link!

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 05-04-2006, 06:21 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

K30 & I did go and see the new fancy green house & gift store one of the
local nurseries put in, fancy! Take a look: www.beaverbark.com

Their website seems to be down right now.. I'll check them out later. Thanks
for the link!

Perhaps they're updating it with some inside shots, so you get more a feel
of what it is like. ) ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 09-04-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
Wilmdale

~ janj wrote:

I'm about to go catch the 4 fantail goldfish out of the lily pond so the
lady frogs can have their nursery back. Already mowed the lawn for the
first time, youngest son helping get the flower beds cleaned up and such.
How about you? ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Today ... putting the filter medium (cut up scrubber pads) back in the
stock tanks, adding some barley straw to the "veggie filter", puttering
around the sides of the new veggie filter, pluggin in the pump and
watching the water fall, and refilling the pond since the bio mechanical
filters sucked up 204 gallons of water right off. Maybe start
landscaping the area around the veggie filter since it is now in the ground.
You know, the usual stuff! *G*
W. Dale

Old 09-04-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.ponds

mulched part of the back yard
took the plastic off the pond
filled and got the veggie filter running without the veggies (do that tomorrow)
pulled the fig grove out of the garage
enjoyed listening to the waterfall. the moss on the waterfall is magnificent
the pond is pretty green right now, but the fish are happy
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 10-04-2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

I've caught 11 frogs so far, trying to keep the low-tolerant neighbors
happy. So far, so good.

Today was koi club, we had a bunch of great door prizes and raffle prizes.
I came home with 2 door prizes, a fake fish/heron scarer and a purple
dahlia planted in a pretty pot. Even one of my 4 raffle tickets was lucky
and I brought home a clock.... not sure what I'm going to do with that just
yet.

Planted spinach and put the harvest blanket over it.

Frog eggs in the lily pond, wisteria is getting buds, and the fish got a
little more Manda Fu today. Water temp. 56F ~ jan