Old 20-10-2007, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How were your tomatoes this year?

Billy wrote:

Excellent question. Local nursery (Harmony, Sebastopol, CA) has a mix of
seeds that they call green manure. Just a beginner, sorry. I'll try to
find out what they got in their mix. Meanwhile, I've planted red clover
between my stepping stones.

Can't believe it. Rain today. Rain tomorrow. 80 F on Tuesday? Tomatoes
still going strong.

Oh shoot, you're local. I'm in Fremont. Used to live in Petaluma for a
couple of years. Ex-girlfriend in Sebastopol.

Old 21-10-2007, 05:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Billy wrote:

Excellent question. Local nursery (Harmony, Sebastopol, CA) has a mix of
seeds that they call green manure. Just a beginner, sorry. I'll try to
find out what they got in their mix. Meanwhile, I've planted red clover
between my stepping stones.

Can't believe it. Rain today. Rain tomorrow. 80 F on Tuesday? Tomatoes
still going strong.

Oh shoot, you're local. I'm in Fremont. Used to live in Petaluma for a
couple of years. Ex-girlfriend in Sebastopol.

Small world. I'm up here with my toes in the Russian River. I guess
we'll be saying good-bye to summer for the next few days.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 21-10-2007, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Billy wrote:

Excellent question. Local nursery (Harmony, Sebastopol, CA) has a mix of
seeds that they call green manure. Just a beginner, sorry. I'll try to
find out what they got in their mix. Meanwhile, I've planted red clover
between my stepping stones.

Can't believe it. Rain today. Rain tomorrow. 80 F on Tuesday? Tomatoes
still going strong.

Oh shoot, you're local. I'm in Fremont. Used to live in Petaluma for a
couple of years. Ex-girlfriend in Sebastopol.

Small world. I'm up here with my toes in the Russian River. I guess
we'll be saying good-bye to summer for the next few days.

I've heard sometimes the river can come find your toes.

Old 21-10-2007, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Billy wrote:

Excellent question. Local nursery (Harmony, Sebastopol, CA) has a mix of
seeds that they call green manure. Just a beginner, sorry. I'll try to
find out what they got in their mix. Meanwhile, I've planted red clover
between my stepping stones.

Can't believe it. Rain today. Rain tomorrow. 80 F on Tuesday? Tomatoes
still going strong.

Oh shoot, you're local. I'm in Fremont. Used to live in Petaluma for a
couple of years. Ex-girlfriend in Sebastopol.

Small world. I'm up here with my toes in the Russian River. I guess
we'll be saying good-bye to summer for the next few days.

I've heard sometimes the river can come find your toes.

That was before gentrification. Guerneville is the only town I know that
had "normal" flooding but that seems to be a thing of the past. Dams and
reservoirs seem to have put an end to our spectacular "normal" flooding.
(The river at Mirabelle is normally 40 feet across but with a good flood
it can go to a mile or so.) Some of the riverside residents didn't
appreciate it but the flooding used to close River Road and nobody could
get in or out, or go to work. Quicker than you can say "Bob's your
uncle", block parties would breakout on the hillsides among the most
dedicated employees and except for the reveling, which lasted late into
the night, the nights were quiet. Without the sound of traffic, you
could only hear the rain and the wind. It was wonderful, er, horrible
that so many dedicated employees were forced to sit idylly by, sipping
some calming fluids with their friends and neighbors, waiting for the
waters to subside.

Life in the woods ain't for the faint of heart.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:33 PM
mor mor is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_4_] View Post
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
doofy
wrote:

Billy wrote:

[...]

during the spring and summer things were all red , now with alots of rain .l donot know what to say
Old 10-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Registered User

Rubbish. Had seven GardenerŽs Delight plants outside, and the wet weather blighted them. Got the most toms off three plants in a trough against a south-facing wall. Think iŽll just do one in a mini greenhouse this year..probably get a good crop and wonŽt take up as much space.
A good tip for toms is to put a flowerpot into the soil when you plant them, then you can pour water into the pot and it will drain down into the roots rather than evaporating from the surface.