Old 18-10-2007, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Asian pears

I have an Asian pear tree that produced fruit this year for the first time.
It only had about 25 pears, and approx 8 of them had to be picked early
because of a worm or bug of some type getting into the pear. I kind of
figured it was the same problem that happens to apples that haven't been
sprayed early in the spring.

I mentioned this problem to a lady from Korea that was passing through the
state, and she told me that I should wrap the pears in paper while they were
still on the tree. She saw this happening when she still lived in Korea.

Do any of you have any experience with growing Asian pears? Do I wrap them,
when they are very small, or wait until they have reached nearly full size?
Can I put zip lock bags on them instead of tying paper around them? Does
this keep bugs out of them, or just keep them from becoming bruised?

If anyone has these answers, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Dwayne

Old 18-10-2007, 07:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

You have two courses of action. One is spraying on a regular schedule,
depending
on what critters are attacking the pears. The other is covering them. I did
extensive
covering of my apples and my sole Seckel Pear tree with zip lock bags, with good

results. Some bugs slipped in at the stems, so another choice would be ordinary

sandwich bags with twist ties. My strategy was to spray early with dormant oil
and
later fungicide and pesticide up to petal opening. After petal fall, I sprayed
once
more with insecticide and fungicide and immediately covered the very small fruit
with the zip lock bags. It's a labor intensive job, but it saves you additional
spraying. I'm
almost sure this will be applicable to asian pears, as well.

Sherwin

Old 18-10-2007, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thank you. Since doing this post, I have learned that some growers also
cover their apples and plums.

Do you use the sandwich zip lock bags, or larger ones? Do they blow off the
tree easily, or not? I think if I would zip lock them and then staple them
tightly at that point, I might overcome a lot of those problems. Any more
advice would be welcomed. Thank you again.

Dwayne

Dwayne wrote:

[...]

Pears - Pears.jpg (0/1) Steve Newport Edible Gardening 1 26-06-2006 06:23 AM
asian cucumber Rich McCormack Edible Gardening 2 10-08-2003 03:03 PM
Asian Mayapples Ann Gardening 9 22-05-2003 09:32 PM
Asian Water Spinach? H8That Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-04-2003 06:15 AM
Asian Pear in WA. Where to Buy? Kenneth D. Schillinger Edible Gardening 1 01-04-2003 05:32 AM