Old 27-10-2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Broccoli survived the summer

Broccoli is supposed to be a cool-weather crop, so I planted some
along with another winter crop.

The other crop bolted to seed when it got too hot. The broccoli also
didn't do much -- until after the (unusually hot) summer. Someone on
this -group advised that I shouldn't pull it up, and they were right.
Now that it is somewhat cooler, the broccoli is producing
tiny heads, which I harvest immediately -- had some
steamed for breakfast. Yummm!

Question: Should I cut the broccoli down in height?
It's nearly 4 feet high now. I have no idea whether
to let it go or "deadhead" it, in the hope it will produce
more.

Any broccoli experience -- especially in So.Calif
Coastal -- welcome.

Tx

Persephone
Old 28-10-2007, 07:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
Broccoli is supposed to be a cool-weather crop, so I planted some
along with another winter crop.

The other crop bolted to seed when it got too hot. The broccoli also
didn't do much -- until after the (unusually hot) summer. Someone on
this -group advised that I shouldn't pull it up, and they were right.
Now that it is somewhat cooler, the broccoli is producing
tiny heads, which I harvest immediately -- had some
steamed for breakfast. Yummm!

Question: Should I cut the broccoli down in height?
It's nearly 4 feet high now. I have no idea whether
to let it go or "deadhead" it, in the hope it will produce
more.

my broccoli is about (give or take) 9 months old and still producing small
florets. It has gone through a winter and now into spring. I have to catch
the florest early as they tend to flower quickly but still good eating with
the flowers. Good steamed, stri fried, roasted & even ok in a tempura
batter.

rob