Old 12-11-2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default shade tolerant veggies

Got this from a Colorado State website:

In general, leafy vegetables are the most shade-tolerant, while those
that fruit from a flower (tomatoes, peppers, squash, eggplants) are the
least. In between are the root vegetables requiring at least a half day
of full sun: potatoes, beets, carrots and turnips. Shade tolerant leafy
vegetables include lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, arugula, endive and
radiccio. Broccoli (and its relatives -- kale, kohlrabi, turnips,
mustard and cabbage -- also grow in partial shade.
Old 13-11-2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

That's very helpful! Thanks!
Where do you get those veggies? I would like to try one.

Old 13-11-2007, 05:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Got this from a Colorado State website:

In general, leafy vegetables are the most shade-tolerant, while those
that fruit from a flower (tomatoes, peppers, squash, eggplants) are the
least. In between are the root vegetables requiring at least a half day
of full sun: potatoes, beets, carrots and turnips. Shade tolerant leafy
vegetables include lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, arugula, endive and
radiccio. Broccoli (and its relatives -- kale, kohlrabi, turnips,
mustard and cabbage -- also grow in partial shade.

Mm. Gives me incentive to plant more chard next year, IF I can control
those bloody cabbage worms!

Anyone know if BT is dangerous to humans and ok if sprayed on leafy
greens and eaten shortly afterwards?
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 13-11-2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

doofy said:

Got this from a Colorado State website:

In general, leafy vegetables are the most shade-tolerant, while those
that fruit from a flower (tomatoes, peppers, squash, eggplants) are the
least. In between are the root vegetables requiring at least a half day
of full sun: potatoes, beets, carrots and turnips. Shade tolerant leafy
vegetables include lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, arugula, endive and
radiccio. Broccoli (and its relatives -- kale, kohlrabi, turnips,
mustard and cabbage -- also grow in partial shade.

My experiance is that bush snap and shell beans will tolerate some shade.
Actually, they can take ore shade than potatoes, though less than lettuce
and parsley.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 13-11-2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet said:

Mm. Gives me incentive to plant more chard next year, IF I can control
those bloody cabbage worms!

You sure those were cabbage worms? Chard is totally unrelated to
the cabbage family. It's related to beets and spinach (one-time
family Chenopodiaceae, now Amaranthaceae). T

I have had ongoing problems with leaf-miners in chard and beets.

Anyone know if BT is dangerous to humans and ok if sprayed on leafy
greens and eaten shortly afterwards?

Listed as safe to use up to day of harvest. (Wash those leafy greens
throroughly before cooking!)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 13-11-2007, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Omelet said:

Mm. Gives me incentive to plant more chard next year, IF I can control
those bloody cabbage worms!

You sure those were cabbage worms? Chard is totally unrelated to
the cabbage family. It's related to beets and spinach (one-time
family Chenopodiaceae, now Amaranthaceae). T

I have had ongoing problems with leaf-miners in chard and beets.

Well, they mostly tried to demolish the Broccoli that was next to them,
I think they ate some of the chard "just because".

Here are pics. They destroyed the Horseradish utterly:

http://i3.tinypic.com/7wf2f4h.jpg

Anyone know if BT is dangerous to humans and ok if sprayed on leafy
greens and eaten shortly afterwards?

Listed as safe to use up to day of harvest. (Wash those leafy greens
throroughly before cooking!)

And be sure to actually cook them.
Wonder about lettuce tho'.

Perhaps a vinnagrette. ;-)

Old 14-11-2007, 11:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet said:

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Omelet said:

Mm. Gives me incentive to plant more chard next year, IF I can control
those bloody cabbage worms!

You sure those were cabbage worms? Chard is totally unrelated to
the cabbage family. It's related to beets and spinach (one-time
family Chenopodiaceae, now Amaranthaceae). T

I have had ongoing problems with leaf-miners in chard and beets.

Well, they mostly tried to demolish the Broccoli that was next to them,
I think they ate some of the chard "just because".

Here are pics. They destroyed the Horseradish utterly:

http://i3.tinypic.com/7wf2f4h.jpg

Oh, those aren't cabbage worms. Those stripes make them look a
bit like some sort of army worm. (Army worms' favorite food plants
are grasses, but they'll settle for eating just about anything. And they
tend to appear in masses, thus the "army.")

http://entomology.unl.edu/images/smg...rmyw_larva.jpg

Cabbage worms are pretty much plain green. (And cabbage loopers
and diamond back moth caterpillars, are mottled shades of green as
well.)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 14-11-2007, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Well, they mostly tried to demolish the Broccoli that was next to them,
I think they ate some of the chard "just because".

Here are pics. They destroyed the Horseradish utterly:

http://i3.tinypic.com/7wf2f4h.jpg

Oh, those aren't cabbage worms. Those stripes make them look a
bit like some sort of army worm. (Army worms' favorite food plants
are grasses, but they'll settle for eating just about anything. And they
tend to appear in masses, thus the "army.")

http://entomology.unl.edu/images/smg...rmyw_larva.jpg

Cabbage worms are pretty much plain green. (And cabbage loopers
and diamond back moth caterpillars, are mottled shades of green as
well.)

--
Pat

I think the one thing that helped keep them off the chard more was the
fact that I planted a patch of Pennyroyal that happily grew in around it.

Thanks for the ID! I've had a lot of trouble with those things but I'm
sure BT would work for them.

Old 15-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Registered User

Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the information of the viewers , however I would like some specific information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Old 15-11-2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Muaz wrote:
Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the
information of the viewers , however I would like some specific
information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a
private message. Best Regards,

huh?

Yeah.

I don't understand the post either, plus that's not how usenet works
anyway!

Old 15-11-2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Muaz wrote:
Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the
information of the viewers , however I would like some specific
information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a
private message. Best Regards,

huh?

Yeah.

I don't understand the post either, plus that's not how usenet works
anyway!

Could be wrong, but I think they're wanting to harvest email addresses.
Old 15-11-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Muaz wrote:
Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the
information of the viewers , however I would like some specific
information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a
private message. Best Regards,

huh?

Yeah.

I don't understand the post either, plus that's not how usenet works
anyway!

Could be wrong, but I think they're wanting to harvest email addresses.

Very likely. g

Old 15-11-2007, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Muaz wrote:
Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the
information of the viewers , however I would like some specific
information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a
private message. Best Regards,

huh?
Yeah.

I don't understand the post either, plus that's not how usenet works
anyway!

Could be wrong, but I think they're wanting to harvest email addresses.

Very likely. g

Except they don't even have a workable email themselves.