Old 15-12-2007, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Vermiculture

Ok, since yall get me on the topic of wormy things...

I've got a stacked worm bin. Two rubbermaid bins with holes in the bottom.

I've finally gotten around to switching the bins. I also bought some
coir to use. Just wondering, is coir the only thing I need to use to
keep the fly level down, or do I have to shred paper over the coir?

Damn, I forgot to add the eggshells. That's the thing about the coir as
opposed to the paper. The paper is easier to pick up to put something
underneath it.

I've also heard that with the stacked bins, some worms never make it up
to the next bin. I wonder what percentage that is. I pushed the
contents in the lower bin over to one side, so that it would bunch up
and be touching the bottom of the upper bin.

Just gotta go put the eggshells in.

Segmentedly yours, doofy.
Old 16-12-2007, 08:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Ok, since yall get me on the topic of wormy things...

lol

I've got a stacked worm bin. Two rubbermaid bins with holes in the bottom.

I've finally gotten around to switching the bins. I also bought some
coir to use. Just wondering, is coir the only thing I need to use to
keep the fly level down, or do I have to shred paper over the coir?

Damn, I forgot to add the eggshells. That's the thing about the coir as
opposed to the paper. The paper is easier to pick up to put something
underneath it.

I've also heard that with the stacked bins, some worms never make it up
to the next bin. I wonder what percentage that is. I pushed the
contents in the lower bin over to one side, so that it would bunch up
and be touching the bottom of the upper bin.

Just gotta go put the eggshells in.

Segmentedly yours, doofy.

They just live in my yard. Everywhere.
I could probably make money harvesting the worm castings I see on top
the soil during spring and fall weather. ;-)

When I want to harvest any for fishing bait, I just put down a piece of
old carpet and wet it down... They come to the surface and are right
under it.

Hm. I wonder if topping your vermiculture bins with some carpeting might
help with your fly problem??? Seriously?
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 16-12-2007, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

[...]

It would have to be an exactly fitting piece of carpet. Otherwise
they'd crawl in around the edges.

I think the coir makes a much more impervious barrier, but its also hard
to move around to put new stuff into.
Old 16-12-2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

[...]

So?

I think the coir makes a much more impervious barrier, but its also hard
to move around to put new stuff into.

That is why I suggested it. Carpet would be easier. :-)

You'd just have to make sure tho' that it caused no suffocation problems.

The worms around here never crawl on top of the carpet. Might not really
have to be form fit?

But, I've never maintained worm bins. Just to be totally honest.
Just mealworm bins for pet and wildlife feed.

Those are easier.

Old 17-12-2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

[...]

The flies.

Old 17-12-2007, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

[...]

Ah.

I'm just curious... Why are your vermiculture bins attracting flies?
Fresh compost?

Old 17-12-2007, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:

The flies.

Ah.

I'm just curious... Why are your vermiculture bins attracting flies?
Fresh compost?

Yes, I guess. They're after the decomposing stuff too.
Old 17-12-2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The flies.

Ah.

I'm just curious... Why are your vermiculture bins attracting flies?
Fresh compost?

Yes, I guess. They're after the decomposing stuff too.

Fresh compost vs. aged compost = decomposition...

Have you tried composting separately, then feeding that to the worms?

Old 18-12-2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The flies.

Ah.

I'm just curious... Why are your vermiculture bins attracting flies?
Fresh compost?

Yes, I guess. They're after the decomposing stuff too.

Fresh compost vs. aged compost = decomposition...

Have you tried composting separately, then feeding that to the worms?

The worms are DOING the composting. Instead of putting the stuff in a
pile somewhere, you feed it to the worms. They digest it, and it
becomes compost.
Old 18-12-2007, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The flies.

Ah.

I'm just curious... Why are your vermiculture bins attracting flies?
Fresh compost?

Yes, I guess. They're after the decomposing stuff too.

Fresh compost vs. aged compost = decomposition...

Have you tried composting separately, then feeding that to the worms?

The worms are DOING the composting. Instead of putting the stuff in a
pile somewhere, you feed it to the worms. They digest it, and it
becomes compost.

I see.

I'm not really sure how to solve a fly problem then, short of covering
the stuff, which we've already discussed. :-)

How about pine shavings?

Old 18-12-2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The flies.

Ah.

I'm just curious... Why are your vermiculture bins attracting flies?
Fresh compost?

Yes, I guess. They're after the decomposing stuff too.

Fresh compost vs. aged compost = decomposition...

Have you tried composting separately, then feeding that to the worms?

The worms are DOING the composting. Instead of putting the stuff in a
pile somewhere, you feed it to the worms. They digest it, and it
becomes compost.

I see.

I'm not really sure how to solve a fly problem then, short of covering
the stuff, which we've already discussed. :-)

How about pine shavings?

That limits me to post-adolescent pines.
Old 18-12-2007, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The flies.

Ah.

I'm just curious... Why are your vermiculture bins attracting flies?
Fresh compost?

Yes, I guess. They're after the decomposing stuff too.

Fresh compost vs. aged compost = decomposition...

Have you tried composting separately, then feeding that to the worms?

The worms are DOING the composting. Instead of putting the stuff in a
pile somewhere, you feed it to the worms. They digest it, and it
becomes compost.

I see.

I'm not really sure how to solve a fly problem then, short of covering
the stuff, which we've already discussed. :-)

How about pine shavings?

That limits me to post-adolescent pines.

Too acidic?

Old 18-12-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The flies.

Ah.

I'm just curious... Why are your vermiculture bins attracting flies?
Fresh compost?

Yes, I guess. They're after the decomposing stuff too.

Fresh compost vs. aged compost = decomposition...

Have you tried composting separately, then feeding that to the worms?

The worms are DOING the composting. Instead of putting the stuff in a
pile somewhere, you feed it to the worms. They digest it, and it
becomes compost.

I see.

I'm not really sure how to solve a fly problem then, short of covering
the stuff, which we've already discussed. :-)

How about pine shavings?

That limits me to post-adolescent pines.

Too acidic?

No, young pines don't shave.
Old 18-12-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The flies.

Ah.

I'm just curious... Why are your vermiculture bins attracting flies?
Fresh compost?

Yes, I guess. They're after the decomposing stuff too.

Fresh compost vs. aged compost = decomposition...

Have you tried composting separately, then feeding that to the worms?

The worms are DOING the composting. Instead of putting the stuff in a
pile somewhere, you feed it to the worms. They digest it, and it
becomes compost.

I see.

I'm not really sure how to solve a fly problem then, short of covering
the stuff, which we've already discussed. :-)

How about pine shavings?

That limits me to post-adolescent pines.

Too acidic?

No, young pines don't shave.

cough

Sorry, missed the pun. ;-)

Old 18-12-2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

[...]

You should bough to me now, you sap.

vermiculture doofy Edible Gardening 1 15-08-2007 02:17 AM
Problem with my worms (vermiculture) OldProf Gardening 1 08-09-2004 10:45 PM
Vermiculture. [email protected] Permaculture 0 29-12-2003 02:05 AM