Old 14-04-2008, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens,alt.folklore.herbs

Default Hawthorn

I have a hawthorn (Crataegus oxyacantha a.k.a. Crataegus laevigata). It
is only 18" high. I want advice on shrubing it out (I don't want a tree)
and on methods to optimize the harvesting of its' leaves.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 14-04-2008, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens,alt.folklore.herbs

Billy wrote:
I have a hawthorn (Crataegus oxyacantha a.k.a. Crataegus laevigata). It
is only 18" high. I want advice on shrubing it out (I don't want a tree)
and on methods to optimize the harvesting of its' leaves.

With an 18" hawhorne if you're over 40 years old you probably don't
need to worry about harvesting many leaves. And besides, hawthorne
leaves are small and light, even from a mature 20" tall tree you won't
collect more than a bushel, more like a quart. I have a 20'
hawthorne, its leaves shrivel on the tree and drop slowly over many
weeks, they blow away before many accumulate. But with a 18" seedling
you really don't need to concern yourself until it reaches about 8'...
at least another 15 years.
Old 14-04-2008, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens,alt.folklore.herbs

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

Billy wrote:
I have a hawthorn (Crataegus oxyacantha a.k.a. Crataegus laevigata). It
is only 18" high. I want advice on shrubing it out (I don't want a tree)
and on methods to optimize the harvesting of its' leaves.

With an 18" hawhorne if you're over 40 years old you probably don't
need to worry about harvesting many leaves. And besides, hawthorne
leaves are small and light, even from a mature 20" tall tree you won't
collect more than a bushel, more like a quart. I have a 20'
hawthorne, its leaves shrivel on the tree and drop slowly over many
weeks, they blow away before many accumulate. But with a 18" seedling
you really don't need to concern yourself until it reaches about 8'...
at least another 15 years.

So the burning question is, can I trust the opinion of an apparent
anti-Christian sick f**ks like Shelly or Shirley (a.k.a. Shirwindu) Doo
( The Doo Brothers)?

Previously:
From: Sheldon
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: I would like some feedback..
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:51:22 -0700 (PDT)
Christian wrote:
I own a business "Professional Pond Maintenance and Fish Care".

That's your first untruth... you *operate* a business.... you don't own
a business until your IRS return doesn't show you're operating at a loss.

I'm wanting to get any and all feedback, positive or negative,
on a website I designed recently to go with it. I advertise locally
and direct folks to my site for more information.

Here is the link:http://allyoudoisfeedthefish.net/index.html

Thank You,
Christian

Your parents must have had high hopes for you to succeed in the
arts... you're not going to do well in business unless you change your
name.

---------

Christian asked, very nicely, for an opinion and you gave him attitude.
It seems that it was his name that set you off. So I might be all wet
here Shelly, maybe there is a perfectly logical reason why you
denigrated Christian's name. Can you explain your seeming knuckle
dragging attitude? Even an explanation from Shirwin, who supports your
position would be most gratifying.

In the meantime, maybe I should start a Christian support group to
combat Evil Doo'ers.

--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 14-04-2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens,alt.folklore.herbs

Sheldon wrote:
Billy wrote:

I have a hawthorn (Crataegus oxyacantha a.k.a. Crataegus laevigata). It
is only 18" high. I want advice on shrubing it out (I don't want a tree)
and on methods to optimize the harvesting of its' leaves.

With an 18" hawhorne if you're over 40 years old you probably don't
need to worry about harvesting many leaves. And besides, hawthorne
leaves are small and light, even from a mature 20" tall tree you won't
collect more than a bushel, more like a quart. I have a 20'
hawthorne, its leaves shrivel on the tree and drop slowly over many
weeks, they blow away before many accumulate. But with a 18" seedling
you really don't need to concern yourself until it reaches about 8'...
at least another 15 years.

I'm guessing he's wanting the leaves for herbal stuff, but it's the
berries and the flowers that are used primarily for heart issues.

Don't know about keeping them shrubs, but I'm planning on trying it.

Kate
Old 14-04-2008, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens,alt.folklore.herbs

In article , kate
wrote:

Sheldon wrote:
Billy wrote:

[...]

The leaves are included in alternate remedy food supplements even though
having no potency because it's more expensive to process the fruit into an
herbal product, even though it's the fruit that has the main chemical
ingredients thought maybe to assist in heart disease -- pharmaceutical
grade extract of the FRUIT, not the leaves, is not entirely ruled out for
some extremely slight benefit may exist for cardiovascular disease IF it
is used in conjunction with and supplementary to conventional treatment.
There's also a recurring belief that as an herb it somehow benefits
diabetes, but doubleblind studies have ruled that one out for sure.
However, the leaves are a tobacco substitute.

What is bought in the healthfood stores is usually derived from the
cheapest hawthorn source, C. ambigua. Since a tincture should derive from
C. oxyacantha to have any chacne of possessing the suspected benefit,
you'd either have to get it from a German phramaceutical source with
doctor prescription, or make the tincture yourself from the requisit
species.

For antioxidant content, hawthorne berries rank right up there with
blueberries for just generally healthful content. If harvested after
autumn's first freeze they're almost as sweet as apples, grainy and seedy
but no longer bitter (they can be harvested before first freeze then
frozen off in the freezer which has the same sweetening effect; waiting
for after first freeze can mean competing with birds and squirrels who
take a late-in-the-year liking to them). They can be steamed & sieved for
the pulp to make wonderful jams or jellies or syrup. Too much seed to eat
them as fresh fruit though they don't taste bad even raw.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com

Old 15-04-2008, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens,alt.folklore.herbs

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

In article , kate
wrote:

Sheldon wrote:
Billy wrote:

[...]

When I want a "tweaker's" opinion, I'll let you know.
--

Billy

The Death of Rachel Corrie
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1248.shtml
Old 15-04-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens,alt.folklore.herbs

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

In article , kate
wrote:

Sheldon wrote:
Billy wrote:

[...]

I was talking to Kate, not you, kurva muterort.

-paghat the ratgirl
Old 15-04-2008, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens,alt.folklore.herbs

In article ,
kate wrote:

Sheldon wrote:
Billy wrote:

[...]

Thanks for responding. What is your citation on the preference for
berries and flowers?
http://www.holistic-online.com/Herba..._Herbs/h22.htm
makes no distinction between flowers, leaves, fruits.
According to
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/...igata&CAN=LATI
ND the plant can be turned into a hedge.

Any idea about how fast it grows?

Don't mind the previous poster, he is a nut case from rec.gardens that
ran a poster down because his name was Christian.

i.e.
I'm wanting to get any and all feedback, positive or negative,
on a website I designed recently to go with it. I advertise locally
and direct folks to my site for more information.

Here is the link:http://allyoudoisfeedthefish.net/index.html

What do you think of the basic design?
Can you read it easily?
Ads or no ads?

I'm thinking people here are close to my target audience, being that
garden lovers usually like ponds even if they don't personally have
one.