Old 20-04-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default My plans for this growing season

Eat everything I grow! haha seriously no, we're working on turning this
place into a profitable berry(and eventually tree fruit, but that takes
quite a while) totally organic farm(I just water the stuff, and use the
compost courtesy of my bunnies for fertilizer...I've also heard bat guano is
like the BEST fertilizer, is that true? cause we got plenty of colonial bats
around here in decent weather), and we have 1 currant(they grow wild here,
as do elderberries and I will get those too), strawberries grow wild in the
yard, as does chamomile/lilacs/wild roses. This place also came with 2 apple
and 2 cherry trees, but we get late frosts here so don't usually get fruit.
And this month we got a Dwarf Northsky blueberry, 2 pear trees(1 Asian, 1
Bosc) and Niagara Grape on sale, and last year I got alot of free produce
from a farmer's market friend, and I saved a bunch of the seeds from it and
have started planting them, and so far 2 yellow corns have sprouted...I'm so
happy...I know last year our homegrown potatoes tasted so buttery delicious,
I can't wait to taste this year's produce...we've got seeds for at least 5
different kind of tomatoes(already started one, yellow pear tomoatoes, the
rest get started this week), lettuce mixes(and spinach/kale and a turnip
that is for the greens), popcorn, beans, broccoli, sunflowers for yummy
seeds, beets, carrots, melons, bell peppers, kohlrabi, peas, radishes,
squash, eggplants, and cucumbers, plus the herbs I have...it's gonna be a
tasty year! I'm just glad I can start things indoors because we don't have
enough of a growing season otherwise...I have pictures of the corn babies
that I will be posting on alt.binaries.pictures.garden later...unfortunately
it's been cloudy lately so there wasn't quite enough light to make the
picture clear as I wanted.

Old 21-04-2008, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks, and yep, it's been quite busy and will continue to be so. But I
think it's a good busy. I'm just kind of in denial that farmer's market is
only like two months away...we're mostly doing crafts right now because
we're not ready to do full-scale produce yet, and we have plenty of crafts
from last year that didn't sell so we don't have to make too much more. We
got rid of all but 1 chicken(she was sleeping somewhere not in the coop at
night so when I gave them to someone I couldn't get her) and will be saying
goodbye to our geese soon too(and I'm glad because some wild animal in the
timberland next to us has killed one of our male geese each winter we've
been here, no matter how much I try and protect them, it gets them in the
pen, and I can't handle having to discover the bodies anymore. Oh and I also
forgot to mention that I have blackberry cuttings I got from a spot in town
where they grow in an alleyway that are starting to grow roots...I can't
wait to have the blackberries thrive here too...what I love about
blackberries is that, speaking from someone who lived in Washington state
for a few years, you really only need ONE to take and then you'll be up to
your ears in them in no time :-)

Charlie wrote in message
Sounds as if you are gonna be busy and have been busy in your absence
from here. Also sounds pretty cool what you have going on. G'luck and
welcome back!

Charlie

"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation
it provides." ~ W. E. Johns