Old 11-06-2008, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default moisture meters?

Hi-
has anyone here in the group had any experience with those gizmos that you
stick in the ground to measure the moisture content 6 or 8 inches down? Do
they work? The ones I see seem pretty cheap; does that mean they're crap?
Chas

Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I use more expensive ones in a research project in Australia, where we
logg the moisture content in the ground for wheat irrigation studies.
THey work fine. However, they are quite sensistive to differences in
soiltype. But if you use them in the same plot, you should be fine.