Old 13-06-2008, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default cucumber plants with no tendrils !!!

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:51:42 +0100, hutchy01
wrote:

hi all im new to this forum, ive been growing cucumbers and tomatoes for
a couple of years now very succesfully, hovever this year i have noticed
that my cucumber plants (f1) have no tendrils to help the plants climb,
can anyone help and tell me is this normal for this variety (cucumber
f1 ), im sure the plants i had in years gone by were f1 but im not
totally sure, thanks in advance of any reply's. rob (cumbria)

How big are the plants? In what part of the country are you growing
them? Are the plants otherwise healthy and thriving?

I planted mine from seed (3 varieties - Kirby, lemon and Satsuki)
directly in the ground in mid to late May and they just developed the
first tendrils a few days ago. They are now about 8" high.

Boron

Old 13-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Registered User

Smile cucumber plants with no tendrils !!!

Old 13-06-2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

hi all im new to this forum, ive been growing cucumbers and tomatoes for
a couple of years now very succesfully, hovever this year i have noticed
that my cucumber plants (f1) have no tendrils to help the plants climb,
can anyone help and tell me is this normal for this variety (cucumber
f1 ), im sure the plants i had in years gone by were f1 but im not
totally sure, thanks in advance of any reply's. rob (cumbria)

In the US (cucumber f1) simply means it is a hybrid cucumber. It is
not the name of a particular variety. You need to know the actual
variety of cucumber and what its characteristics are. And since it is
a hybrid it could have the ability to vine bred out of it.

If you started it from seeds, read the information on the pack or
check the Internet for the producer's Web page. If you bought plants,
ask the seller what the actual variety is and how it is supposed to
behave.
--
Susan N.

Old 13-06-2008, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

My bush cukes grow tendrils.

Boron
Old 13-06-2008, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm ...

My thoughts exactly.

I have three "Diva" plants about one foot high, no flowers, no tendrils,
just large green leaves. This is the first year I have planted this kind
of cucumber this year. I was thinking - I got some bad seeds.

However, I have five "Northern Pickling" That is also one foot high and
has flowers, tendrils and several tiny cucumbers on them.

Again, my thoughts exactly.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Old 14-06-2008, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
-

hi all im new to this forum, ive been growing cucumbers and tomatoes
for
a couple of years now very succesfully, hovever this year i have
noticed
that my cucumber plants (f1) have no tendrils to help the plants
climb,
can anyone help and tell me is this normal for this variety (cucumber
f1 ), im sure the plants i had in years gone by were f1 but im not
totally sure, thanks in advance of any reply's. rob (cumbria)-

How big are the plants? In what part of the country are you growing
them? Are the plants otherwise healthy and thriving?

I planted mine from seed (3 varieties - Kirby, lemon and Satsuki)
directly in the ground in mid to late May and they just developed the
first tendrils a few days ago. They are now about 8" high.

Boron

hi, the plants are around 18 inches to 24 inches tall, i am in cumbria
(normally a couple of degrees cooler) the plants seem heathly and
thriving

Healthy and thriving are the two most important aspects of growing
things.

I am unfamiliar with the particular cukes you are growing, but do know
that F1s come in many varieties. Perhaps you are growing something
different than you have before and its growth cycle is not the same.

Boron