Old 18-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered User

Unhappy What could be wrong with my strawberry plants?

Hi again, I decided to grow a small amount of strawberries this year in a hanging basket, I thought they were doing ok, however a few little clusters of strawberries turned brown & died before they even flowered, now a few of the leaves have turned brown & there is even a tiny bit of brown pigmentation on one of the larger strawberries. Anyone have any idea what this could be here's a picture of the plant in question

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n.../PICT00564.jpg

You can see one of the brown leaves & the small amount of tiny strawberries to the right of that seem to be dying & you can see the small amount brown on the third strawberry from the right

Any advice welcome!
Old 18-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom_Spark View Post
Hi again, I decided to grow a small amount of strawberries this year in a hanging basket, I thought they were doing ok, however a few little clusters of strawberries turned brown & died before they even flowered, now a few of the leaves have turned brown & there is even a tiny bit of brown pigmentation on one of the larger strawberries. Anyone have any idea what this could be here's a picture of the plant in question

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n.../PICT00564.jpg

You can see one of the brown leaves & the small amount of tiny strawberries to the right of that seem to be dying & you can see the small amount brown on the third strawberry from the right

Any advice welcome!
Hi.

I too am also growing strawberries in a hanging basket.

The best advice that I can give u is to make sure that u give it a good feed about once a week using a good plant food such as Tomorite, Miracle gro or a special strawberry food.

Also, it is important that u check the soil everyday as the soil needs to be kept moist and keep out of full sun as this can scorch them and the strawberries will shrivel.

I hope this advice was of some help to u and wish u good luck.

Shelley
Old 18-06-2008, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What could be wrong with my strawberry plants?

Strikes me one large plant, one small basket. I think (possibly I'm no
expert) that the other respondant hit the nail on the head. Feeding
and nutriants.
Old 22-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Registered User

Smile

Thanks for the replies guys, I've moved two of the strawberry plants into a seperate basket & fed them with my tomato food (I had fed them previously but probably not as regularly as required) Thanks again for the advice!