Old 13-07-2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default watermelon, pepper and tomato questions.

Hi,

New here hope this forum is friendly and not too much spammers and in-
fighting.

My watermelons aren't growing. While my cucumbers have grown four or
five feets and are starting to produce a few cukes, my watemelon
plants have only grown to about 5 inches high. They were about the
same size when I bought them about a month ago. Is this normal?

One of my tomatoe plants has produced six toamtoes and no more flowers
in sight, while the rest (about 6 more plants of meaty and cherry
tomatoes) are even flowering. They are all about 1-1/2 foot to 3-1/2
feet high.

One of my pepper plants (red bell) have started to flower and produced
two peppers then stopped flowering. The other peppers, Thai chili and
green bell peppers aren't flowering at all. All are about 1-2 feet
high. Looks healthy enough, just noty flowering. All bought together
from Lowe's about a month ago.

All of my plants started out from Lowe's about 4-5 inches high. Any
ideas?

Thanks,
Wil

Old 13-07-2008, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

Where are you? What kind of soil do you have (age of garden, etc. etc.)?
Just off the top of my head, it sounds like you don't have enough heat
but your answers should resolve that hypothesis.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 13-07-2008, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

On Jul 13, 12:38*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Bush and Pelosi Behind Barshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTfcAyYGg&ref=patrick.nethttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aEo59c7zU&feature=related- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for your reply Billy. I'm in DC. My plants are in 5 gallon
buckets with combo top soil and dirt from the ground.

Thanks,
Wil
Old 14-07-2008, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Wil wrote:

On Jul 13, 12:38*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Maybe some of the other posters here know but has this been a cool,
average, or warm summer in D.C.? I'm guessing it is cool or you are
neat the Atlantic.

The watermelon, peppers, and, to a certain extent, tomatoes are warm
weather plants. Unfortunately, the cucumber doesn't fall into that
catagory which leaves the whole thing an enigma . . . hmmm. We already
have an enigma here who posts regularly, so, to avoid confusion, let's
call it a conundrum;-) Any who, barring that you have some exotic
cucumbers, I'd paint the pots black, if they aren't already, wrap a
clear plastic skirt around the pots (let it flair and reach the floor).
Cut a circular piece, the same diameter as the surface of the soil in
the pots that your plants are growing out of and make a cut in it which
will allow you to place it flat in the pot, straddling the plant. If
possible, place the pots in front of a light colored wall or some other
light back ground. Give the plants a 1/2 strength dose fish emulsion
and then water every other day or as needed to keep the soil moist.

Most importantly, keep your fingers crossed.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 14-07-2008, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

On Jul 13, 9:33*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

*Wil wrote:
On Jul 13, 12:38*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Hi again Billy. Thanks for your answers. So I think I have been
watering them too much because I water them every day, sometimes twice
a day. I water everything. I'll try cutting back on the watering,
except for the cucumbers. I'll also wrap up the buckets like you've
said.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again,
Wil

Old 15-07-2008, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Wil wrote:

On Jul 13, 9:33*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

*Wil wrote:
On Jul 13, 12:38*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Watering and over fertilizing them will keep them vegetating instead of
setting fruit.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 16-07-2008, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

On Jul 14, 7:54*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

*Wil wrote:
On Jul 13, 9:33*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

*Wil wrote:
On Jul 13, 12:38*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Billy. I did over fertilize in the beginning and I did killed
a couple of the watermelon plants that way.

Wil