Old 31-07-2008, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default zucchini x pumpkin

According to Wikipedia, dome types of pumpkin and zucchini are the
same species. supposedly that means they can cross breed (if i
remember my biology correctly). has anyone ever grew a hybrid?
purposefully or not. just curious what that fruit would look like.

thanks,
Simon
Old 31-07-2008, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:17:10 -0700 (PDT), Simon
wrote:

According to Wikipedia, dome types of pumpkin and zucchini are the
same species. supposedly that means they can cross breed (if i
remember my biology correctly). has anyone ever grew a hybrid?
purposefully or not. just curious what that fruit would look like.

thanks,
Simon

Maybe you should try it.

What kind of things do you grow?
Old 31-07-2008, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I think I might just try it! let you know in 2 years

I try to grow as many different things as possible just for fun .
tomatoes, potatoes, asparagus, sun flowers, chives, onions, green
onions, egyptian onions, sweet potatoes, garlic chives, garlic, chili
peppers, bell peppers, broccoli, Spanish, lettuces, shallots, beats,
radishes, broccoli sprouts, corn, string beans, snap peas, snow peas,
raspberries, strawberries, mint, oregano, basil, dill, corn,
cilantro , winter melon, zucchini, unknown melon that sprouts,
parsley, sage, soy beans... then there is my wife's flower garden
tulips, wild rose, hydrangea, Hyacinths, daisies, poppies, flowering
onions, tiger lily, pineapple lily, glads, Chinese lanterns, bells of
ireland, bunch of other stuff i can't remember the names of ..

of course we are not always successful at everything but it is fun to
try.

thanks,
Simon

Old 01-08-2008, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Simon wrote:
According to Wikipedia, dome types of pumpkin and zucchini are the
same species. supposedly that means they can cross breed (if i
remember my biology correctly). has anyone ever grew a hybrid?
purposefully or not. just curious what that fruit would look like.

thanks,
Simon

I grew a pumpkin variety called "Tatume" a few years, and I also had
some yellow crooknecks. They crossed and I've had volunteers come up
every year (this year, only one) Some of them have long vines, some are
more bush-like. Last year they were just like yellow crookneck but the
vines were twice as long (still short tho'.) The one this year has
short vines that branched multiple times and are less succulent than
most bush squash -- the borers are leaving them alone. The fruit looks
like Early Prolific Straightneck but with a really short neck and a kind
of greenish cast to 'em. They taste really good. :-)

Meanwhile, my Green Striped Cushaw pumpkins are trying to take over the
whole neighborhood, and they are covered with male flower buds, but no
female buds and the males have been there at least a week and are not
opening yet. I wonder if pruning the vines would encourage them to
branch and to bloom?

Hope this helps,
Bob
Old 27-08-2008, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Zucchini Pumpkin lives in our office at the moment - it is round
and green and is starting to get orange-ish vertical stripes. My boss
inadvertently grew a couple this year. We have pictures -
unfortunately, it is being used in a food war. but we have pictures!
We were actually wondering if there are any recipes! Zumpkin/Pumcchini
bread!

Old 28-08-2008, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 26, 6:04 pm, wrote:
The Zucchini Pumpkin lives in our office at the moment - it is round
and green and is starting to get orange-ish vertical stripes. My boss
inadvertently grew a couple this year. We have pictures -
unfortunately, it is being used in a food war. but we have pictures!
We were actually wondering if there are any recipes! Zumpkin/Pumcchini
bread!

I would love love to see those pictures. sounds like your office is
more fun to work in than mine!

thanks, Simon