Old 01-09-2008, 07:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default MISSION CONTROL, WE HAVE TOMATOES!!!!

I have had a single tomato plant growing in a raised bed for months.
It had achieved a spread of about six feet and a height of three feet
with lots of blossoms but no fruit set. I tried root pruning to no
avail.

Four days ago, in desperation, I dumped a gallon of 0-10-10 solution
on it. Now there are a lot of little green marbles that (I hope) will
become luscious, juicy, sweet, tangy tomatoes soon.

Just passing along a tip.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

There's also a spray called Fruit Set or something like that. But if
it has been over 90 degrees tomatoes don't want to set fruit, just
fyi.

Be sure to keep the soil evenly moist. If they dry out and then you
douse them with water the tomatoes can swell too fast and crack. I do
that every year!

--------
USDA Zone: 10
Southern California
http://www.theGardenPages.com
Old 06-09-2008, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

�--------
USDA Zone: 10
Southern Californiahttp://www.theGardenPages.com

I tried that spray on the plants in the greenhouse, with mixed
results, but this one was outside and it did it on its own. We're on
the northern California coast, so it never gets to 90 degrees here.
Thanks for the watering tip. I'll be careful.

The plant is an heriloom called Carmello. It's very bushy.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

?--------
USDA Zone: 10
Southern Californiahttp://www.theGardenPages.com

I tried that spray on the plants in the greenhouse, with mixed
results, but this one was outside and it did it on its own. We're on
the northern California coast, so it never gets to 90 degrees here.
Thanks for the watering tip. I'll be careful.

The plant is an heriloom called Carmello. It's very bushy.

And here, 70 miles north of San Francisco (30 min. from the coast),
we have been stringing 100 F and high 90s together for over a
month with no apparent adverse effects on our tomatoes. We have had more
100 F days this year than the last four years combined.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 08-09-2008, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

And here, 70 miles north of San Francisco (30 min. from the coast),
we have been stringing 100 F and high 90s together for over a
month with no apparent adverse effects on our tomatoes. We have had more
100 F days this year than the last four years combined.

You must have cool nights or do a good job keeping the roots cool.
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot